Saturday 20 May 2023

Felbrigg House

 On the way up to Sheringham the road took me right by the entrance to  Felbrigg house - perfect for a visit.

Car parking at NT properties is now £5 and entrance prices vary from about £12 upwards and I worked out that as long as I also visit Sutton Hoo, Dunwich Heath, Melford Hall and Ickworth House in Suffolk (and maybe back to Blickling Hall in Norfolk ) I would get my money back on a years membership.
Something I didn't know was that if you join at a NT property they get ¾ of the joining money (whereas joining on line all the money goes to NT HQ). 
At the moment money is needed at Felbrigg for this.........


 If you want to read all about the history of Felbrigg it's HERE

It's BIG!

Below is the main frontage and the photo below that  shows all the service buildings and as you can see from the illustration above there are even more buildings on the right of these




They handout a very useful little booklet to use as a guide as you walk through the house




I didn't take photos inside because the whole place is kept shaded and very gloomy to protect the furnishings - plus they say don't use flash in case of visitors with epilepsy and everywhere was very busy.

But there is one room - actually a corridor built to improve the route between kitchen and dining room - that is lighter - it's full of stuffed birds in glass cases all shot by a bird-loving ornithologist owner!  The grandfather of the last Squire.


The kitchens are always interesting to visit




There is a huge walled kitchen garden that would have once employed several gardeners




They keep a few chickens too


The dovecot is huge.







From the little booklet I took this photo of the beautiful screen that is in one of the rooms




and another photo from the booklet with details of the last owner of this huge estate.



I thought this was my first visit to Felbrigg but it turns out that I'd visited with Colin many years ago.
I only remembered when I went in the second-hand bookshop and it seemed very familiar! 

Back Monday
Sue 


32 comments:

  1. NT have "trampers" an all terrain mobility scooter for those with mobility problems and are easy to drive. The trampers need to be booked in advance and there is no charge. Maureen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The property is Felbrigg Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We rarely go into the big old houses, we both prefer the gardens, and can spend all day walking and taking photo's. Inside only the kitchens intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all sorts of interesting rooms in this house but the kitchens are always my favourite too

      Delete
  4. Looks an interesting property to visit. My favourite parts of any NT properties are the kitchen gardens and the kitchens themselves. These are were my families from back in time would have been working. Glad you enjoyed your few days away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning house and I am so glad they got 3/4 of your membership fee. I followed the link and it looks amazing. For me - I could move straight into that kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Signs everywhere saying do not touch - everything in the kitchen is fragile!

      Delete
  6. As an American, I send my dues in faithfully to NT every year..even the years I couldn’t come over to see my family due to Covid….it’s an important cause to support.
    Have you read the wonderful books about behind the scenes at Fulbright, written by the wife of a man who formerly was in charge of that property?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Mackie - Cobwebs and Cream Teas and Dry Rot and Daffodils are the books and yes I have read both..

      Delete
  7. PS the only reason I have to publish as Anonymous is because Google won’t let me sign in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that wall of copper in the kitchen! There's a lot I like there. I don't think someone who shoots birds can be described as a bird lover, exactly, though. I'd like that kitchen garden but not the work it entails! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems they had a different idea of Ornithology back then!

      Delete
  9. As I read your post I wondered if someone still resided there but you answered that with the photo of the book. It's a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to employ a custodian living in part of the property but not sure about nowadays

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful historic home and grounds. Your membership is a good buy and 3/4 of joining fees going directly to maintaining this property is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly need it for mending the roof there

      Delete
  11. I love Felbrigg, and enjoyed seeing the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always the best place to visit in a Stately Home

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful trip to visit Magnificent home, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  13. Imagine the large staff that kept that kitchen running! So many pots and pans to scrub!!
    By the way, I meant to tell you, I love your header photo! Are those lovely lilacs?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my huge Ceaonothus which I think is called California Lilac across the pond

      Delete
  14. On my recent walk through Norfolk, Felbrigg Hall was on the route. A very welcome stopping place for lunch. I am a member of the NT and feel I get my money's worth . Wherever I am in the country I like to check out the local NT properties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ever so busy there, with queues for the cafe - think they need one a bit bigger!

      Delete
  15. I used to work in NT recruitment. We always had to push for Direct Debit payment and Gift Aid, as it brought more money directly into the property instead of HO. One of my key selling points was to remind people that, when travelling, some distance they could plan their journey around NT properties for a relaxing break, rather than a busy motorway service station! In my area, most car parks, NT or otherwise are £5.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a bit lacking in NT properties in Suffolk which is why I'm not a member all the time. But when we holidayed along Hadrians wall and around Devon/Cornwall we always joined and visited everywhere there was.

      Delete
  16. I'm sure I visited Felbrigg Hall with Mum and Dad a while ago now. A lovely place and that kitchen . . . wow!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous snapshots. I was captivated by all that copper in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have been National Trust members for years now and always try and visit at least enough properties to get our membership money covered, a bit easier now that we are classed as older members. I always gravitate towards the kitchens and kitchen gardens and Alan towards anything mechanical that he can find.

    ReplyDelete