Wednesday 24 May 2023

Sheringham Museum

 There's a modern museum (info HERE) on Sheringham Promenade, built on the site of some old houses that had to be removed when the sea encroached and Anglian Water Company needed the site to sort out the drainage and new sea defences were needed

Sheringham was once an important fishing village so many of the exhibits tell the story of the fishermen who once would have lived in the old town.



I took a photo of the description of this cannon above because, weirdly, the name had just got a mention in the book I was reading on holiday. (Mr Campions Abdication by Mike Ripley) although it's now a week later and I can't remember what the mention was! and the book's gone back to the library already.




There's a small 'street' with frontages of some of the old shops in Sheringham


The introductory video says that everybody wonders how they got so many huge boats inside the building but didn't give the answer to that question!




Specially for the knitters!..................




Back Tomorrow
Sue


14 comments:

  1. That's an interesting day out. I was especially interested in the ganseys and it's great that the patterns haven't been lost and have been replicated for visitors to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many different designs - someone had been very busy!

      Delete
  2. I haven't visited that Museum yet - but as I was actually standing on Scott & Shackleton's boat in Dundee only last Wednesday, I'm itching to see this museum now! Not to mention the ganseys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ganseys exhibition. My gran’s brothers were fishermen and she always called jumpers/sweaters by the name gansey. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the original exhibition was called Moray Firth not Forth as I had read about it previously. Catriona

      Delete
    2. Looks as if you are right about the mistake in that information notice - I wonder if anyone has ever pointed it out to the museum staff!?

      Delete
  4. I love these old, local museums; they are absolutely packed with interesting details. The one at Southwold is good too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This museum is very modern but lots of history inside

      Delete
  5. Seafaring wooden ships are amazing. They have great history. Look at the mast that held the canvas sails. Imagine the strength it took to raise the sails. Today, sailboats have wenches to rise and lower the sails. Some even have furling gear and you can raise and lower the sails from the cockpit. Wooden boats are a lovely sight. Today, most people want fiberglass boats for less maintenance. Gansey sweaters are wonderfully warm and very protective in the cold and wind. They are perfect for sailing in all kinds of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting museum....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely!
    I remember going to Sherringham and Cromer by train when I was a child. We always used to look for crabs underneath the rocks. Mum and I stopped at both a few years ago. I had forgotten how high up Cromer is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant day out. My ex-seafaring man would love a visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gansey exhibit, complete with photos, is great. Such effort and respect in it.

    ReplyDelete