Monday 15 May 2023

Woodbridge Tide Mill



 This was another tourist attraction that I'd never visited despite living in Suffolk for 68 years and going to Woodbridge hundreds of times. So it comes under the label of "A Tourist in East Anglia" which was something started before Covid struck.

As it was National Mills Weekend I was expecting some extra things happening and the water wheel turning - but it seemed to be just a normal Saturday opening.

So I went round reading all the signs and taking some photos and thinking what a shame that they didn't have as much going on last years Mill's Weekend when I went to Pakenham Water Mill.

There's been a mill on this site since at least 1170 - there are records going back that far because the mill once belonged to The Augustine Priors of Butley Abbey. 


It passed through many hands and finished being a commercial mill in 1957. Finally the Woodbridge Tide Mill Trust was formed and took on the restoration and running of it in 1977.


The Mill is beside the River Deben which is tidal so the water needed to turn the wheel is stored in the mill pond when the tide is high and held by a sluice gate.



The Mill Pond as it is today












The water wheel is huge and this one dates from 1970










Up above is the mill floor with the grinding stones.




I always love it when someone has made a model of whatever it is I'm visiting - a bit like getting an aerial view



According to one page of information there are only two working tide mills left in the country. In 1938 there were ten still working. I googled to find out where the other working mill is and found THIS from 2015.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


23 comments:

  1. Fascinating Sue, and beautifully documented by you. I know of a tidal mill in Wales at Carew just by the castle but whether it is working or not I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to think some rivers once had watermills along their all length - now so few working

      Delete
  2. I love places like that - places where I both experience and learn. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually only go to Woodbridge for charity shops!

      Delete
  3. A lovely post. We stopped in Eling for a cup of tea once, but the mill was closed that day, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A most striking looking building which reminds me of the buildings so often portrayed in the American Folk Art genre, of which I am a huge fan. Love places like this!
    p.s. thanks to Jeannie of Marmalade Gypsy fame, I appear to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought happy memories. In 2019 we went to Woodbridge and stayed at the station b and b so we had out of our window the view of the river. We went round the mill. We were visiting the nearby National Trust site at Sutton Hoo. It was a chilly day visiting the burial mounds and seeing the exhibit, but it was a wonderful experience. This is the site where they believe King Raedwald might have been buried whose beautiful helmet is on display at the British Museum. It was the best day of our visit, and I always look back with pleasure on Woodbridge. Jean, Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MUST get to Sutton Hoo this year as I've not been for ages- said that last year and didn't!

      Delete
  6. I learned quite a bit from reading this, knew nothing about tidal mills before. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! Always amazing to learn about what was invented so long ago. Thanks, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how they know the history of it so far back

      Delete
  8. That's interesting. It must take a lot of work to keep it operating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if they don't have the wheel turning very often . Don't know how long before the wheel needs replacing again

      Delete
  9. Mills once employed many people and produced many excellent products. They were very important. This mill is a historic gem. I've never heard of a tidal mill. The US historic mills (long closed and many converted to condos/flats) are next to rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I do like Woodbridge but have never been inside the mill.

    And you are right, fabulous charity shops

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love old Mills. I learned to make bread at a talk/demonstration at the other tidal mill, at Eling (Totton, edge of Southampton). We never got to visit this one (though I wanted to) when we used to holiday at K's brother's in Essex. My loss. Thanks for your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was vaguely familiar so I think we must have been there at some time on our travels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane from Dorset15 May 2023 at 21:12

    Eking tide mill is fascinating and well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would have been an interesting visit. The mill looks huge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a really interesting area, Sue. Thanks for "taking" us there!

    ReplyDelete