Monday 22 May 2023

Failed Fossil Hunt

 It was probably around 1977 or 78 when I took the eldest Cub Scouts to spend a few nights at the Scout camp at West Runton on the North Norfolk coast. One morning we walked from the campsite down some lanes and then down onto West Runton beach and straight away among all the pebbles we picked up several fossils. I kept a fossilised Sea Anemone for years and it sat outside on top of a flower pot that had a Hosta in it. That's probably where it was left when I had to organise the move from the smallholding to the Ipswich bungalow by myself when Colin was ill and in hospital. 

Sheringham is just along the coast from West Runton so I went in hope, but between 1978 and now fossil hunting has become a Big Thing and despite spending ages walking up and down not a single fossil was found.

West Runton is popular with school trips and there is a North Norfolk Adventure Centre where they stay from all parts of the country and while I was here there were several dozen children on the beach here checking out the rock pools and playing football and then spending their money in the café and shop!






This is the sort of thing I was looking for but didn't find!


So I had a coffee in the café, read my book and then drove along to Cromer for my lunch!

I've never had purple coleslaw before!


Back Tomorrow
Sue


15 comments:

  1. I love rainbow slaw, and purple slaw. A friend's daughter went through an awkward phase when, age 5, she would only eat pink food, so we reinvented slaw with red cabbage. Sorry the fossil hunt failed, but the weather was kind, and your meal looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor of the new V&A is cut from slabs of black stone from somewhere in N Ireland, and each slice is embedded with fossils. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the new V&A in Dundee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew lives in Weymouth and regularly goes fossil hunting on his local beaches. The Jurassic Coast certainly seems to live up to its name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found fossils at Lyme Regis years ago but I bet they are harder to find now unless there's been a fresh cliff fall

      Delete
  5. You sound as if you are enjoying your holiday and thanks for showing us the fossil collection. I like pink/purple slaw although it sometimes has horseradish in it which can make it rather hot! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holiday was last week so I've been home several days now and yes it was a good change from the norm.

      Delete
  6. I would sneak back to your old home and see if the fossil is still in the garden and snatch it back! Or maybe politely ask the new owners if you could have it?!
    Nice hike on the beach, tho, Sue, and the food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I could do that!
      It was a very tasty meal

      Delete
  7. Although you found no fossils, the sunshine and beaches are very beautiful. At low tide the views and landscape is open and very expansive. I like the rocky beach equally as well as the sandy beach. The contrasts between high and low tides never disappoints. Your meal looks excellent. How did you like the coleslaw? I like all variations of coleslaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have brought home a bag full of lovely large pebbles from the beach but it's not allowed!

      Delete
  8. Your coleslaw looks delicious, usually I am not drawn to purple or blue foods but this looks good. I need to have a go at making it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying your vacation along with you. I particularly like it when you show us your food!

    ReplyDelete