Wednesday 17 May 2023

Yarlington

 Trying another 'artisan' (that means expensive!) cheese produced from a dairy in Gloucestershire. Although I bought it from a new small  shop on the Eye business park  run by Fen Farm Dairy.


A very soft brie type cheese which is dipped in cider 

I tried my first piece with home made water biscuits ( my version of hard tack!) plus apple and grapes.

Have to say it was pretty tasteless! A disappointment.

This is what I found out about this cheese.

The original idea comes from 2018 when two people got together to discuss the idea. The first Yarlington cheese was made in 2022 and the name comes from the old apples called Yarlington  Mill used to make the cider.

"Yarlington Mill is a traditional cider apple cultivar originating from the village of Yarlington, in the North Cadbury area of Somerset, England". 

"Yarlington was born from a collaboration between local skilled artisan. David Jowett, head cheese maker at King Stone Dairy and  Cellarman and cidermaker Tom Oliver. This soft, rich, oozy cheese is washed in a wild fermented cider and brine during maturation. This does allow the cheese to develop a pungent, complex rind but to offer fruity and milky aromas. A farmyardy aftertaste is noticeable, which is reminding us of its French cousin, Reblochon. After all it's where Yarlington inspiration originally comes from."

I didn't notice any cider taste and as for a "farmyardy  aftertaste" that wasn't at all noticeable - which might be a good thing!.

Not a cheese I'll be bothering with again!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

15 comments:

  1. What a disappointment but as you said, who wants a farmyardy aftertaste anyway?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've cleaned out enough chicken sheds and goat pens to know that sort of farmyard smell isn't a good idea for any food!

      Delete
  2. That's a shame, maybe it needs to mature more. It's possible. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a fairly strong taste, and can remember that 'farmyard aftertaste' or at least its smell from childhood. The French do a good line in 'stinky' cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer strong cheese too and was expecting a bit more flavour from the cider

      Delete
  4. You are right about "artisanal" products. We've noticed this week that when that word is on the menu they add £££ to the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farmers markets are the place to see so many artisan and expensive food items.
      Good to read you are getting all injuries sorted.

      Delete
  5. 'farmyardy aftertaste' would put me right off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Roblochon and it wasn't very exciting either, so maybe this cheese is just like it! Now you know, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cheese exploration is quite interesting. This cheese is a bit of a disappointment. I am not a big fan of Brie which sounds similar in texture. The farmyard aftertaste also has no appeal. Do your cheese shops offer a small taste for customers considering a purchase? Some of ours do this and it helps when making a purchase decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t like flavoured cheese so the cider addition would put me off buying this. I also see it’s made with pasteurised milk so I’m afraid it will taste bland. One day Sue you will let your blog readers know what you think of that most tasty Suffolk-produced cheese Baron Bigod, now £10.60 a round in the Hungry Guest cheese shop, so it is just as well I’ve had a pay rise and tonight’s supper for three hungry adults was a 6-egg cheese and chive omelette cheese (eggs from the village at £1.50/half dozen, chives from the garden), with asparagus from the garden and local new potatoes from the farm shop. Pudding is strawberries from Kent (£3/250g) also via the farm shop, no doubt grown under cover but at least I am not contributing to a supermarket’s profits or robbing the grower - at least I hope not! We’ll eat the strawberries with homemade yogurt made with raw whole milk from Southview Farm a few miles from home. I make yogurt two or three times a week with nothing more complicated than a milk pan, my baby finger for temperature control, a 500ml thermos flask used only for this purpose and an airing cupboard. Also can I say how completely bombproof the asparagus is during this hungry gap. While the slugs devour the broad beans, the perpetual spinach bolts, the mice feast on the peas and the rhubarb sulks the asparagus is the one dependable crop. Here’s to delicious locally produced seasonal food! Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your cheese reviews. This one sounded so enticing, what a disappointment. Can you let it ripen a bit longer? Tho I can't see that bringing out the cider taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, what a disappointment for you, it actually reads that it should taste wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if the cheese might taste better if it sets longer to have a better taste. Maybe it wasn't taste tested before getting it shipped to stores. I hope you find a good one soon.

    ReplyDelete