Wednesday 27 March 2024

A Cheese Tasting

 I haven't bought any different cheeses for tasting for many months but when I got a letter from my penfriend with a page included about some different cheeses that her husband had been given for a cheese subscription for Christmas, I was reminded about my plan to try more local cheese.


The Co-op had this which I'd not come across before. The village of Kelsale is only a few miles from where we were at the smallholding but I had no idea this business had been there since 2007.

This is the online blurb.................


The Smokehouse & Deli is a family run business based in Kelsale cum Carlton, near the beautiful Suffolk coast. We were established in 2007 and since then, our list of products has dramatically increased. We originally just sold our smoked cheeses and smoked fish pates at farmers markets; but we were soon picked up by The East of England Co-operative Society. Thanks to their support we have grown and grown. We now also do a range of oak smoked and chili-smoked olives; some traditional pates, but also some more unusual vegetarian ones using 'superfood' ingredients.
We also have a range of smoked & non-smoked condiments using fabulous Pink Himalayan Salt, which we also use to season all our delicious pates.
We supply some lovely local farm shops and regularly attend markets and local food events
.

I was expecting a good smokey taste but what I got was something a bit rubbery and not particularly special at all, smoked in Suffolk but not made in Suffolk. And it was extra expensive - won't be caught like that again!

Back Tomorrow
Sue





20 comments:

  1. Look at your beautiful Magnolia (?) in the blog header. Such a soft yet strong colour.
    I don’t mind trying something new now and again but like you am annoyed when it doesn’t live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a bit disappointing! But well done for trying

    ReplyDelete
  3. How disappointing especially as it is not a local cheese at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are always looking for good English cheeses here in Ireland. A trip to Tesco in Killarney or the English Market in Cork sometimes finds cheese treasure like: Lancashire Crumbly. Newcastle Brown and pasties are also Blighty things we hunt for. I blame Brexit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a shame because smoked cheddar can be lovely. I really like smoked applewood cheese. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of lovely cheeses at Suffolk Food Hall Wherstead but oh the prices!! Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you tried, but it is disappointing when something doesn't come up to scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-you magnolia is magnificent. Hate when cheese id disappointing! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bit cheeky of them to imply the cheese is a Suffolk made cheese.
    I'm afraid when I start to read about Pink Himalayan Salt I realise I'm not their target customer !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look out for yellow-stickered posh cheeses. We did well in January and still have a lot in weekly ration portions in the freezer. Otherwise it is portions of basic mature cheddar from the most economical large pack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rubbery! Yuk! A cheese subscription sounds like a punishment to me. The milder the better for me. But no, not rubbery. Daylight rubbery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing worse than rubbery cheese. Smoked in Suffolk but not produced there ... that's a bit naughty isn't it, and it's something that a lot of products have on them at Farmers Markets these days for their specific, or not so specific towns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Speaking of cheese, I'm going to make a cheesy potato casserole for our Easter Sunday dinner using dairy-free cheeses. Hope it tastes yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a disappointment, it's a shame when local products don't live up to the blurb. Since Christmas, when we had rather too many Wensleydale cheeses laced with strange combinations e.g. Red onion and Cointreau, the sort that come in wax , I've stuck to good old strong cheddar.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This cheese seems to carry some false advertising. Rubbery, that sounds terrible. Lately, I have Sharp Cheddar, Munster and Spicy Pepper Jack. I can recommend these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you to everyone above for comments - it's a cheese I won't be buying again for sure

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would be in seventh heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rubbery cheese is terrible. Hopefully your next taste test will be much better.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a shame - it is often the expensive stuff which turns out to be a disappointment, perhaps the price gives us different expectations but rubbery cheddar is never acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that's disappointing. Hopefully the next cheese will be better!

    ReplyDelete