Tuesday 19 March 2024

Coffee and Collared Doves

 I opened the coffee, it looked good, it smelled good, it was perfectly dry - it was fine - not dusty, tasting just as it should - so a good bargain - for a 'tight' frugal person!

********************

There must be a pair of Collared Doves nesting somewhere around - they may have taken over a pigeon nest on the sycamore tree next door - as I keep seeing one on the fence and two on the roof ridge of the house behind me. 

The photo is through the window as they are quite shy birds so no good trying to go outside to photograph.



They are so common now that it seems strange to think they didn't breed in Britain until 1955 when they were found breeding in Norfolk after spreading into Europe during the first half of the twentieth century.  They originate  from India, reaching Turkey in the sixteenth century and by 2000 there were 284,000 breeding areas in Britain.

They are smaller and neater than the more common wood pigeons with creamy/pink/grey colouring, young birds don't have the collar markings. Their nests are much the same as pigeons  - a bundle of twigs in a tree, hedge or on guttering or any ledge.  If enough food is available they can breed almost all year round - and like other pigeons can have 5 broods a year.


In my book of Bird Poems there is a poem called collared doves that isn't really about the birds at all.

Listening to Collared Doves

I am homesick now for middle age, as then 
For youth. For youth is our homeland: we were born
And lived there long, though afterwards moved on
From state to state, too slowly acclimatising
Perhaps and never fluent, through surprising
Countries, in any language but one.

This mourning now for middle age, no more
For youth, confirms me old as not before.
Age round the world, they say, to childhood's far
But what now (strength apart) I miss the most
Is now unseen like air, since everywhere.

And yet, when in the month and in the skies
That were the Cuckoos' and in the nearer trees
That were the deep voiced wood-pigeons', it is
Instead now the collared doves that call and call
(Their three flat notes growing traditional)
I think we live long enough, listening to these.

I draw my line out from their simple curve
And say, our natural span may be enough;
And think of one I knew and her long life;
And how the climate changed and how the sign-
Posts changed, defaced, from her Victorian
Childhood and youth, through out country of grief;

And how she adapted as she could, not one
By nature adaptable, bred puritan
(Though quick to be pleased and having still her own 
Lightness of heart). She died twenty years ago,
Aged, of life - it seems , all she could do
Having done, all the change that she could know having known.

E.L. Scovell (1907 -1999)

Edith Scovell was an English poet and translator who published 3 volumes of poetry. Her poetry was admired by Vita Sackville West and Phillip Larkin (according to wiki). Collared Doves was published in 1968.

It might be more about life and memories than Collared Doves but at least it's more understandable than that poem about Kestrels last week.


Back Tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. We have quite a few collared doves in our garden but they seem to be very unlucky in rearing their young. One by one they all get taken by the visiting sparrowhawk 😒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look out for young ones - haven't seen sparrow-hawks here - too enclosed or over the road in the graveyard

      Delete
  2. I have just caught up with your coffee post - what a bargain. How interesting that it is still perfectly drinkable! Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tastes just like it would have done when new.

      Delete
  3. I love collared doves, so much more gentle than their airbus sized cousins, and quieter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many pigeons in the garden - I'm glad they are too big for the birdfeeders

      Delete
  4. So glad the coffee is good. A real bargain there. Tight? No way. Frugal? Of course and good for you.
    Enjoy the coffee . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure it would be any good - but glad it is

      Delete
  5. My neighbours' little boy used to call Collared Doves "Cuckoo Pigeons" because he thought they sounded similar. Better than my granny who insisted that the repetitive call of the Wood Pigeon was saying something about Mrs Khrushchev!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I shall listen out to see if my pigeons say the same!

      Delete
  6. Careful...not tight...I love the call of the woodpidgeon, reminds me so much of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of pigeons around here but not so many collared doves and I've never seen a Turtle dove

      Delete
  7. I didn’t know that pigeons could have all those broods each year-no wonder there are so many of them about. The sparrow hawk seems to be keeping them away just now in our area. Glad the coffee was drinkable and hope you enjoy as the first of many in your new cafetiere. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they have many in a brood - but could still multiply like crazy

      Delete
  8. We've had collared doves in our garden for the 20+yrs we've been here, and often see little ones, who come quite close to the house as we have a water trough that all the birds love to visit. Hadn't realised they bred quite so often though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good to see the young ones, I shall look out for them here

      Delete
  9. We used to have collared doves in the garden, but haven't seen so many recently. I love them and their gentle call. I like woodpigeons too, a comforting reminder of childhood days.
    The coffee was drinkable - that was a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for photo - I haven't seen a collared dove since I moved here. We had them regularly on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you ever had Turtle Doves on the farm - I've never seen one anywhere

      Delete
  11. I wonder if they're like our mourning dove. I love them, such quiet neighbors. I think a pair is planning to nest near my door. I keep disturbing them as I come and go, but they're not put off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've got rather too many of those doves locally 😀
    I loved reading that poem, thank you
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely bird with crisp white coloring and a black collar. I only have morning doves and they have a blue ring around their eyes and black spots on their lower body. They make a soft coo sound and are usually seen in pairs. I am glad to hear the coffee was perfect. That was a very lucky buy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good news about the coffee ... now your Anonymous commenter will expect you to go back and force another £2 on the seller. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my. If coffee is vacuum packed it will last forever. I buy whole bean and toss it in the freezer. Grind it when the canister's empty.

    I had to go off to hear the sounds of your collared dove vs. the wood pigeon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIq6dV9lKEc

    Here, we have mourning doves, and this is the bird that I listened to in my youth. In my middle age. And now, too. Your dove is 3 notes. Mine is 4 and the wood pigeon is 5.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mourning_Dove/sounds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photo. We have Mourning Doves here in Michigan. There are lots in our garden. They like sitting in the trees and hogging the bird feeder tray. lol.

    ReplyDelete