Friday 8 March 2024

The March Library Book Photo

Lots of lovely books for me this month. They are all books I'd reserved online. The very narrow book on top is a book called Toll Houses of Suffolk, which I decided to borrow after writing about the one that moved from the main road to Needham Market. Thought I'd see where the other toll houses are - if they still exist.


There are several crime here including the most recent Elly Griffiths in her Brighton series, four non-fiction and one children's book - far right.

I also brought home two books with Spring in the title for my Reading The Seasons "challenge". I'll write about those when I read them.

Not quite sure how I will fit in reading all these - but I'll give it a go.

 These were the books I carried home in February. I read nine out of the twelve



including these 3 non-fiction which can all be recommended.

Nigel Richardson - The Accidental Detectorist; Uncovering an Underground Obsession. Non Fiction (Published 2022) A travel writer is stuck at home through the pandemic and buys a metal detector. He starts in the meadow behind his Hampshire home and then sets out to meet other detectorists and joins in rallies and is very quickly hooked by his new hobby. Travelling around the country looking for the illusive buried treasure he meets all sorts of characters and learns so much more about what's hidden.

Peter Ross - Steeple Chasing; Around Britain by Church. Non Fiction. (Published 2023). This isn't so much about churches but about the people involved with them and how they are surviving and have survived. He takes the reader around the country through the pandemic visiting St Pauls in London, Durham Cathedral, the forgotten churches of Norfolk, the holy wells in Wales and back to London with a few other places in between.

Lara Maiklem -  Mudlarking. Non Fiction. (Published 2019) This was a re-read but I enjoyed just as much it second time around. Lara spent all her free time for years exploring the edges of the River Thames whenever the tide was low. This is a look at all the things she found and a little about their
 history.

As always the books I've read are on the Books Read 2024 page

Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. Is that a new Ann Cleeves book? I don't recall reading it, must look for it in my library. I really enjoy her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a much older one now reprinted. They are not as good as the later - a bit silly sometimes

      Delete
  2. We like some of the same authors, Griffiths, Donna Leon and in future I would like to start the Ann Cleeves books. Enjoy your selections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy Elly Griffiths books and I’ve heard her speak and she seems really fine and humorous.
    Have read, and enjoyed, The Zig Zag Girl and hadn’t realised she’d written so many in her Brighton series.
    The Nigel Richardson book made me smile, thinking of the lovely tv series, The Detectorists. Great cast and gentle humour.
    J’nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super selection as always. Our readers’ group was given Ginger and Me by Elissa Soave which is set in a location near me. It has had some good reviews and it’s the first time we have ever been lucky enough to have a brand new set of recently published books! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Lost Bookshop, could not put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a book series, not read Elly Griffiths, I'll have to look out for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read anything by Elly Griffiths but I've read some really good reviews so I picked up The Crossing Places when I saw it in TK Maxx, it'll be a new series to embark on if I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a copy of the Accidental Detectorist for my husband, as it’s not in the library here and he is really enjoying it. If you have not seen it you might enjoy watching The Detectorists, this was a short series, written by McKenzie Crook with Toby Jones both wonderful actors, and is set in a fictional town in Essex. It follows the two main characters and their metal detecting club as they have metal detecting adventures and grapple with life. The main character becomes an archaeologist, and I wondered if your son had seen the series. It also had Dianne Rig and her daughter in the series. Wonderful scenes of the countryside and a story of a lost treasure found in the ground. It is a brilliant series gentle comedy, fantastic characters a gem to watch. Jean in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Metal detecting holds a fascination for me, I don't have one but understand those who do . Nice book selection.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started The Accidental Detectorist last night! I loved the TV series The Detectorists so thought I would enjoy this book too. Thanks for putting it in the photo last month, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have three of my favorite authors there (Cleeves, Griffiths and Upson) and I haven't read any of these. I just started the first of the Brighton series and so far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is a nice collection of authors and books. Reading the large majority of them is also impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was at Heathrow, on my way back to the US from Belgium. In a bookstore, I saw some books by Elly Griffiths, and thought, "Oh, that's the author Sue likes." I bought one and had an enjoyable read on the flight home. Thanks for the recommendation. SB

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked Mudlarking too, as you know, and The Accidental Detectorist. I have Steeple Chasing on my Kindle, unread, so it's nice to know that too is enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked the Lost Bookshop. That is a lovely selection of books. I hope you get to read most of them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great lot of books! I really like the sound of two of the ones at the end - Mudlarking and The Accidental Detectorist. They sound really interesing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like some interesting books you have been reading. I did check out a book last month from library here in town. It was faith based and I enjoyed reading it. I couldn't check it out again due to it being needed from another person wanting to read it. I have a few books at home that I bought and I need to get those read soon. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete