Monday 11 March 2024

From a Distance

 From my kitchen window I kept seeing a bird of prey over the road in the graveyard. It would jump down off the top of a grave stone then hop back up again. I thought it was probably a Kestrel (although I was hoping for something more exotic!), but they usually perch much higher on a wire or a telegraph pole before swooping down from a great height. Or they hover.

I've been trying to get a photo for weeks but it was too far from indoors...............

 and too wet for outside. Eventually a sunny day and I opened the front door very carefully and crept down the front path.

And At Last two decent photos and yes it is a Kestrel. I'm pleased with the photos because Kestrels are usually up on a wire making them difficult to photograph.

(And what a lovely sentiment on the gravestone)



Below is the illustration of  Kestrel from my book  "A Sparrow's Life as Sweet as Ours" by Carrie Akroyd. It's in the Autumn section of the book but Kestrels are around all year and very common. Seen more often now than even 20 years ago when we would get quite excited to see one hovering. In some parts of the country they are  known as "windhovers". Now they can be spotted on almost any walk or drive.  In the book it says their skill at hovering was tested and it was found they could hold their position within a centimetre for 28 seconds. They spot their prey - mainly mice and voles - because of being able to see the wavelength of ultraviolet and trace their urine trails.



There's a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins about the Kestrel - but I need a translator!

The Windhover

I caught this morning's minion, kingdom of daylights dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon,
in his riding
Of the level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel he sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and the gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, - the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh air, pride, plume here
Buckle! And the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

No wonder of it: sheer plod makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue beak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion.


Back Tomorrow
Sue

32 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and a wonderful poem. This is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous bird photo.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky to have a dry day to get the photo

      Delete
  3. How beautifully your illustration picks up the speckles of colour on the Kestrel - I'd never seen one before - or at least not close enough to be able to identify its markings. The GM Hopkins poem is dense, isn't it. He wrote "Pied Beauty" too, didn't he? I recall learning it at school (about 60 years ago!) - it's more manageable as I recall. I must go and look up Pied Beauty ... but first I must made afternoon tea for two ravenous, positively starving, children!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about Hopkins or his poetry. I like poems where I can understand all the words!

      Delete
  4. Sadly, there are not many kestrels in my part of Cornwall in spite of the open arable land in the surrounding area. Just had a Quick Look at some of the poet’s other work but it’s not for me, even though his name was familiar. It is very much of his time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still seeing this one over the road and wondering why it's not up much higher like they normally are

      Delete
  5. Common as they are, it is still a thrill to see kestrels hovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To take a photo of a Kestrel hovering would be a special thing - and not something I could do

      Delete
  6. There's a helpful translator here https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44402/the-windhover

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on persevering to photograph the kestrel. We’ve had a sparrowhawk or two recently near our house and they are certainly keeping the pigeon population down. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to get closer but at least I know it's a definitely a Kestrel now

      Delete
  8. I love the photos of the Kestrel on the gravestone, if only he had looked directly towards you it would have been perfect. The wording on the stone is lovely isn't it, simple and to the point. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reading a Miss Read book in which a child says, 'my Dad says it's not a kestrel, it's a windhover.'

    One of my favourite poems and a pleasure to come across it early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of words in the poem for me to look up their meaning !

      Delete
  10. I've rarely seen a Kestrel in Wales, although we used to have Hobbies in our paddock. Well done with the photo and indeed, a lovely epithet on the gravestone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. They are now so common here and the occasional Buzzard. Red Kites are getting here from the west but haven't seen one here yet

      Delete
  12. Fantastic photos Sue, well done. I can't understand a word of that poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got some odd words and strange sentences for sure!

      Delete
  13. I've had a Sparrowhawk sit on the fence in my garden, waiting for the birds to come out of hiding in the hedge (it always went very quiet when he was about!) But now the hedge has gone, replaced by yet another fence so very few birds come to the bird table. Kestrels were a common sight when I was walking the Cornish coastal path, hovering over the gorse bushes; I hope they are still plentiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a Sparrowhawk twice at my last home - the only one I've ever seen. It was a treat.

      Delete
  14. I love the illustration and your fact sharing about The Kestrel. We regularly have a small bird of prey swoops into the garden after the small birds but it's hard to spot what it is.........nature red in tooth and claw!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty bird.
    And how nice to be remembered as a "perfect gentleman".

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got a great photo of the Kestrel. I've not seen them on my property. Your writing prompted me to research the Kestrel and I found there is an American Kestrel. I read the bird is considered the smallest falcon. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great capture! How lucky you were to have it so close.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful photo. Thanks for sharing it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great on both fronts - kestrel and inscription!

    ReplyDelete