Saturday 9 March 2024

TV and Other Happenings This Week

Apologies for not replying to comments  or commenting elsewhere much this week. I've been avoiding the the lap-top in the evenings and generally cutting down on screen time - except for the TV!.

 

Imagine having a really good idea for a book, writing it and it's about to be published when you find someone else has had much the same idea and their book, with a similar title, is coming out just a few months before yours. It would be quite annoying. Last weeks issue of the Radio Times had details of lots of TV dramas featuring women detectives including the one that came second in print.


The second book was The Marlow Murder Club by Robert Thorogood (better known for writing the Death in Paradise TV series) and the one that beat him to the publishers was of course Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club.

But Robert got one over on Richard because The Marlow Murder Club has beat The Thursday Murder Club to the screen as The Thursday Murder Club film has been delayed. I watched the two episodes of Marlow on UKTV Play channel this week and thought them very good. Haven't read the books and probably won't. Some crime stories I find are better on TV than in a book - like Vera and JK Rowling's Strike series.

Son and DiL finally got news from their insurance company that their car has been written off - as they thought - pity that it took more than 2 weeks to decide - of course the  money they are getting off the insurance is nowhere near enough for a new-to-them car so good thing I have no mortgage and have savings to lend! That's what Mum's are for I guess. If Colin was alive he probably would have repaired their car but I can't help in that way so help out in the only way I can. They are borrowing my car again this weekend to go and look at something to buy. Thankfully the cracked windscreen was replaced yesterday so is OK for them to drive and for the car's annual service and MOT next week.

I begun to prepare for seed sowing by checking that my little window-sill electric propagator was still working and after finding it was fine, I filled up the seed trays and brought them in to warm up. Today I'll put in seeds of two sorts of tomatoes, aubergines and red peppers. Cucumbers will be sown later.

Back to Six Nations Rugby on TV this weekend and I'm still watching my way through the umpteen episodes of Bones on the Channel 4 catch up.


I shall be back Monday after a hopefully mostly dry weekend - if it is it will be the first for ages.
Sue



16 comments:

  1. Sorry the car is a right-off. They are lucky to have you to be able to help.
    We finally got the new Vera. I'm really looking forward to watching them. I hope the weather is good this weekend. Sister is hoping to visit Mum's bench on Sunday and take some flowers - a bunch from me too. I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of your electric propogator. I may ask Keith for an early birthday pressie!

    I read one Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club book and that was enough for me! I am currently rereading Friends of the Dusk by Phil Rickman. Set round these parts (Golden Valley) and just creepy enough to be enjoyable - he doesn't overdo things and Merrily and co are old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a friend who is a fan of the Merrily books but I tried and failed with them.
      The windowsill propagator works well for small amounts of seeds

      Delete
  3. I too read the first Richard Osman enjoyed that but thought subsequent books somewhat over egged the pudding, not sure if I'm going to like the other version on TV either bit will try it.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found the Osman books a bit too silly after the first and I think I might find the Thorogood books the same but made a good TV programme

      Delete
  4. I'm glad they can move on with the car saga now - that was a long time to wait for a decision.
    I enjoyed both the Richard Osman books and the Strike ones (I love that they contain so much background/lateral information and sub plots) but I am currently reading the latest Marion Todd DI Clare MacKay book, Bridges To Burn, and really enjoying it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that insurance companies took so long just to sort out if they would repair or write off, made things complicated for 3 weeks for the family

      Delete
  5. That is good to have a decision made about the car and another car will be purchased with your help. As parents, that is what we do happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of help I can't do now I'm alone so it's good to help where I can

      Delete
  6. I hope they find a suitable replacement. Being without a car is difficult especially with young ones to ferry around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needing to get to school and work is complicated nowadays - years ago every village had a small school and thats where all the children went - within walking distance

      Delete
  7. Hope that a car is found soon. I love British Mystery's. Main reason why I subscribe to BritBox. I hope I can get at least one of those new ones to watch.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had US crime on TV here forever - good to find out how things work in other parts of the world!

      Delete
  8. I got my seeds going this weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now is when I start praying for good germination - I always worry that nothing will grow!

      Delete
  9. I'll have to check and see if the Marlow series shows up on my Britbox!

    ReplyDelete