Tuesday 12 March 2024

READING THE SEASONS

 The first book finished in my plan to read some books with SPRING in the title through Spring was 'Absent in the Spring'  by Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott.




I'm not surprised she used a different name for this book as it's completely different to her crime and mystery books.

'Absent In The Spring' was written in just three days and Christie said it was "The one book that has satisfied me completely - the book I always wanted to write." It was published in 1944 but is set in England and Iraq a few years before the war.

Returning home by an overland route from a visit to her youngest daughter in Iraq, Joan Scudamore finds herself unexpectedly alone and stranded in a rest house when bad weather holds up her train across the desert. With nothing to do but walk and think, for the first time ever Joan has to look at the truths about herself and her family.  Looking back she examines her attitudes, relationships and actions and becomes very uneasy about how smug and un-seeing she has been.
This is an unsettling book to read - Joan thinks she has been a perfect wife and mother but really has been completely selfish without realising the effect a very early decision has had on her husband and then her three children.
"Oh but, Rodney, There are lots of other things to consider. There's their schooling. They must go to good schools.................you cant just do what You  want to do.....................She had spoken very decidedly, very positive....................He was like a little boy. She felt strong confident and maternal......................He had looked at her then - a long sad look..........."


It's was quick read but not a happy one.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

23 comments:

  1. It sounds interesting. I knew she wrote under that name but haven't ever read any.
    Would you recommend it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an uncomfortable extract to read. Trying to make a person, effectively, into someone else, never has a good result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly doesn't and in this story makes for 4 unhappy people and one who doesn't know they are unhappy

      Delete
  3. Introspection is not always a satisfactory or satisfying pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like a book that makes you sit and think though, and this sounds like it would do just that. I'm two thirds of the way through 'Grounding' at the moment and have reached a section that's making me think a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library website tells me I've borrowed this before - but why didn't I read it?

      Delete
  5. I read this recently and enjoyed reading and ‘listening’ to Joan as she tossed all those thoughts around in her mind during those days she waited for the train to appear. The ending was true to form though
    I have to say it made me think about my own life and maybe how I was perceived by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I never forced anyone into doing something they didn't want to do - did the children want to move to a smallholding? I hope it didn't spoil their lives!!

      Delete
  6. Fairly recently I saw a Lucy Worsley special where she looked at the life of Agatha Christie in an in depth sympathetic way and she talked about the books she wrote under the name of Mary Westmacott and what was happening in Agatha Christie’s life when she wrote it. I always enjoy Lucy Worsley.s history pieces because of the depth of her research. I was interested to read your post today. I’ve read Agatha Christie mysteries and member going to see the longest running play The Mousetrap in the past but haven’t tried a Mary Westmacott book. Jean in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the other Westmacott books are like.
      So many books so little time

      Delete
  7. Christie wrote quite a few books as Westmacott because she wanted to write a completely different form from the mysteries. She was better sticking to mysteries for this reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first Westmacott I have read no idea what the others are like

      Delete
  8. I love the sound of this and think it would probably be 'right up my street' I am a bit melancholic by nature!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a story of realization and regret. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds tedious? but I always enjoy your reviews!] The regrets and issues of a British lady almost 100 years ago don't always resonate with modern problems. Tho of course self searching can, I suppose, be universal. I hope your next Spring book is more entertaining.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read her Westmacott books. While this doesn't sound happy, it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like an interesting book. I did not realize she wrote under another name.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting. I have heard that name before but not sure I knew it was her! Might have to add this to the list lol. As you say so many books....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this book a very long time ago, but remember well how unsettling it was.
    I did enjoy it though because it was thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete