Tuesday 18 December 2018

December 18th and The Red Cabbage + plus something funny?

One of the things that yells Christmas to me is a red cabbage! We used to grow a few to sell when we were at the smallholding and they always sold well just before Christmas but not so popular afterwards, although they keep for ages.

The recipe I use to make this colourful part of Christmas dinner comes from Delia Smith's Christmas.
A BBC book dating from 1990 (One of the few Christmas presents that Colin bought without me knowing!)

Braised Red Cabbage with Apples
2lb Red Cabbage
1lb onions chopped small
1lb cooking apples, peeled cored and chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ground cloves
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
½ oz butter
Ground black pepper and a little salt.

Pre-heat oven to gas 2, 150℃
Discard any tough outer leaves of cabbage, cut into quarters and remove hard stalk. Then shred the rest finely..
In a large casserole arrange a layer of cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, then a layer of apples and onions with a sprinkling of garlic and spices and sugar. Continue with layers until it's all used. Pour over the vinegar and add some dots of butter. Cover with a tight lid and cook slowly for 2 - 2½ hours, stirring everything around once or twice during cooking.
Once cooked this will keep warm without spoiling or can be refridgerated and reheated or frozen.

I "sort of" followed the recipe but didn't actually weigh  the cabbage, used my home made cider vinegar and eating apples rather than cookers as that's what I had and less onions than the recipe because they were making my eyes water too much!

It tastes good and has gone in the freezer but not sure if its really made enough for 10 people........ may have to repeat.

 

A very British sense of humour? So many bits of this radio programme made me smile, snigger and  laugh when I listened on Sunday that I thought I would share it with anyone interested, just to find out how many people find it funny or is it just me? ( and the people at the recording?) Is it funny in other parts of the world?...................... If the link to the radio programme actually works its here.............I'm Sorry I haven't a clue series 70 episode 5

Many Thanks for comments yesterday
Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. If I make red cabbage, that's the recipe I use too. It's delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Clue". I've got a few collections on Audible and they can be guaranteed to cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever tried red cabbage before. I've clearly led a sheltered life. However, it does sound delicious, so I might just try making this recipe. Thank you Sue. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like Jack Dee and John recently went to be in the audience didn't he. That should prick up the ears of your American readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That (or similar) is my favourite cabbage dish. I’ll give this version a go. SIHAC - Humphrey Lyttlton was brilliant but I think Jack Dee is a worthy successor and has set the right tone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love "Sorry I haven't Clue"

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m a Delia fan and think her recipes are easy to follow. I have made this recipe a few times and I don’t mind eating it cold too. It’s such a lovely colour on your plate. I tweak recipes too as I always think of them as a guide rather than an exact science.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love red cabbage in any shape or form - I like it in coleslaw for instance.
    I also love ISIHAC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed about the red cabbage it just shouts Xmas and is delicious. Not mentioned in the recipe you given but 'beurre mainie' butter and flour to thicken at the end though too much flour can give it a floury taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the link to the show. I love British comedy and I was laughing til I was in tears! I like red cabbage but only raw.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always use that recipe too! Nothing else will do.

    I love ISIHAC. I was worried it wouldn't be the same without Humph, but Jack Dee does a good job, and I absolutely love Samantha, which is strange because part of me feels I should be protesting at those jokes but ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Sorry I haven't a clue. Very funny and Jack Dee is quite good, but miss Humphrey. Also, love a bit of red cabbage, I also use eating apples when I cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the link to ISIHAC. I haven't laughed so much in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love red cabbage so will try this recipe - thank you.
    PS - I'm Canadian but I loved the radio programme - very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We both love I'm sorry I haven’t a Clue and Not the Nine O’clock News though I think the latter can sometimes be too vicious.
    My OH tapes it and I often hear him laughing away while he's washing up.
    The red cabbage sounds good. I like Delia's Christmas and having cleared mine out to a charity shop a couple of years ago I bought another one from a different charity shop about 4 weeks ago. Not sure how economical that is but the charities benefitted so I suppose that’s okay.
    Do you ever buy books back?
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to think if I've ever bought books back that I'd given away - probably!

      Delete
  16. I like a red cabbage too. Love the radio programmes - especially the end bit they did...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nigella does a super red cabbage recipe too - I use that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love red cabbage and so nice at Christmas. We listen to I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue when at the cottage as we don't have TV up there.

    ReplyDelete