Saturday 1 December 2018

December 1st and December Folklore


Chill December brings the sleet,
Blazing fire, and Christmas treat

(from The Months by Sara Coleridge)

 December was originally the 10th month and takes it's name from the Latin decem meaning ten. The Anglo Saxons called it Wintermonarth and then after their conversion to Christianity Halighmonarth meaning Holy month 

The December page from The Diary of a Country lady by Edith Holden


 (Very unlikely to see all these birds sitting together on one branch so lots of artistic licence used here!)

During December day length deceases by 22 minutes, down to 7 hours and 49 minutes on the 21st and throughout history the countries in the Northern Hemisphere have found ways to cheer up the darkest time of year, the shortest day, the winter solstice. In Northern Europe the midwinter festival was called Jol or Yule and  fires were lit to symbolise the heat, light and life giving properties of the sun  to persuade the Gods to return the daylight.

 To early Christians this would have been seen as the ideal time to celebrate the birth of Christ as it was already a Roman holiday, the great festival of Saturnalia when gifts were exchanged. The month became Advent (from the Latin word for 'coming') and Advent Candles are often lit in churches on the four Sundays before Christmas. The word Christmas first appeared in Early English in the C11 as Cristes Maesse - the mass for the birth of Christ and was originally celebrated on different days in different countries but eventually most agreed on December 25th.

The tradition of bringing greenery into the home for the Christmas season dates back to pagan times when each had a meaning. Holly was a symbol of everlasting life and fertility. Ivy was an anti-witching plant with medicinal values, Rosemary was holy and magical and Bay was once sacred to Apollo and to Aescutapious,the god of medicine. Mistletoe was also associated with fertility and used by the Druids for ceremonies.

There are not many weather sayings for December

Rain on the first Sunday before Mass, rain for the week

Thunder in December foretells fair weather 


For St Thomas's Day on the 21st

Look at the weathercock at noon on St Thomas's Day and whichever way the wind blows from it will stay that way for the next lunar quarter


There are a few sayings for Christmas Day

If the sun shines through the apple tree on Christmas Day, there will be an abundant crop in the following year

Meadows at Christmas green, at Easter will be frost

By the end of the month day length will have increased by 5 minutes...........Yippee!

It might be the beginning of Meteorological Winter but December isn't the coldest month. We have that to look forward to in January.........................Oh Deep Joy!

As usual I will be doing  Christmas or Winter themed posts all through Advent.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

34 comments:

  1. An interesting post this morning and loved the photo. I had to get up early this morning to get the bus at 9.30 it's the only one today. Have a good day Sue.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I used the same photo last December, I'll have to look back and see

      Delete
  2. Interesting to read of the evolution of winter rituals/celebrations over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not a lot that's new..........except TV commercials!

      Delete
  3. I like your first of the month posts very much, Sue, and this one didn’t disappoint. My 43 year old has just set me a picture of her Advent Calendar-Harry Potter themed!! Can’t complain really, as I’m the person who bought it for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting read, thanks xcx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are not spontaneous, they are planned then. Mine, on the other hand, are never planned, they just emerge, I particularly like the illustrations in that book you use for these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half of me would like to be spontaneous but the other half was a Cub Scout Leader so needed to Be Prepared, that's the half that wins! I think I have ideas for 20 out of 24 posts needed for Advent.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Sue, your posts are so informative, I learn so much about folklore and old customs and traditions from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoy your traditions and folklore posts and this one is no exception - thanks very much.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come Christmas morning I'll be watching out for the sun to shine through the old apple trees outside my back door!

    I wish I could plan my posts. I do try, the trouble is that some posts just refuse to be written, while others just come bursting out. It is a funny old hobby but, great we all do it in our own style because that's what makes it so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have forgotten all about the sun and apple trees by Christmas!
      It would be very boring if everyone wrote the same way.
      I have all the ideas for Decembers posts as I know the places I'll be going to take photos and I looked back at 2015 and 2016 to see what I'd posted about!

      Delete
  9. Very nice post and a lovely picture. Suddenly it's December and Advent. I got the Jacqui Lawson calendars for myself and my grandchildren. It's Edinburgh based this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about Jacqui Lawson calendars - I'll google it.

      Delete
    2. Oh I see, it's digital - very clever.

      Delete
    3. I sent 4 of them to some friends! I'm originally from Edinburgh so couldn't resist.

      Delete
  10. I enjoy your folklore posts. Mindst you I enjoy all of your posts. Organised! I make myself go out so as to have something to write about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping busy to have things to write about too- have no idea what I'll do in January - no car boot sales or local events or WI - January might be a very quiet blogging month!

      Delete
  11. I do enjoy your first of the month folklore posts! We had the strangest thunder on and off all night and this morning - I hope that does mean fair weather for December. Thanks for sharing Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the book it says thunder in December is very rare! But I hope for better weather than today - really mucky

      Delete
  12. Ooh that reminds me - there's a copy of the Country Diary on the shelf upstairs - I must look it out. Thanks as ever for the post and for adding my blog to the blogroll - very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love finding new interesting blogs to read

    ReplyDelete
  14. These first day of the month posts are a favorite of mine. Love the pics and always learn something or sometimes relearn something I have forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We got married on 21 Dec, because it was the shortest day and longest night. We try to find a good log for Yule, but because of air quality regulations here in LA County, don't always get to burn it.
    Love the first day posts! Thanks for all the knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always great to read your post of the folklore and how we have arrived at some of the customs we hold dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favourite posts that you do! I love all the folklore and history. I always count down to the winter solstice as once it hits I know that, despite there being a LOT of winter left, the days are getting longer and the end is in sight! It's strange but brings me comfort and keeps me going through the dreary, cold and snowy winter here.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing the folklore and history of December with us all. Love the picture. Even though all those birds would not be sitting together.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such great information - thank you for these posts in particular. I celebrated December 1st by volunteering at my church this evening - we had a dramatic reading of "A Christmas Carol", along with some Christmas Carol singing. We had some local radio personalities and everyone did an amazing job. The church is large and was decorated with swags and a new giant tree and lit by candlelight! Afterwards we served 500 ginger cookies and over 300 cups of warm apple cider! It is a yearly fundraiser for our "Out of the Cold" program so we're all waiting to hear how much was raised.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m back to commenting after finding the setting on Privacy which had prevented me!
    I read lots of blogs Sue, they come and go, but I love the recurring themes, country sayings and wisdom on your blog. Please don’t ever think of stopping.

    ReplyDelete