Monday 22 July 2019

What am I looking for now?................

.......................................... No, I don't mean in the whole great scheme of life.................

My 'looking for' is much simpler...............just at car-boot sales in the second half of the year!!

Then was my list updated......................... posted at the end of April.
  • For Willow....  young children's classic books like  Very Hungry Caterpillar (Still looking for a copy of VHC but have found others)
  • For Willow...............Wooden fit-the-shapes-in puzzles
  • For Florence.......winter clothes aged  3 - 4 .....ready for next winter (Few found but need more)
  • For Jacob's birthday ? (must ask eldest what Jacob needs)✔ Sorted
  • For me..............vest tops in light colours (None found yet, may buy some cheap new ones)
  • Things that would make Christmas gifts (No luck yet.... except for Grandchildren)
  • Printer cartridges - Epson with a cheetah picture - vain hope! ✔ Huge surprise, found 3 out of the 4 colours at the local sale on Sunday!
  • A lemon balm plant  Found one growing in the garden
  • Kilner or similar bottles (Not jars -have plenty of them) for flavoured vinegar gifts  ✔ ( Found 3 in a charity shop in Diss for 99p each
  • I'm sure there are other things I'm looking for but didn't make a note of and can't remember now 
 Added to the list after 19th Feb........
  •  A stacking toy for Willow✔ at the local boot sale and given for part of her birthday pressie

 Three weeks ago I remembered the "something else" I was looking because I got to the end of my Sudoko puzzle book and there wasn't another one indoors or in the car. I went and bought a massive one from The Works for £3 and then found one for 10p at a boot sale, so I'm OK for keeping my brain active until Christmas!
Also found another black ink cartridge for my printer - handy

Last Sunday at the local boot sale a lady had lots of girls clothes, she had them divided up into ages which was handy, so I had a look for things for Florence for next winter. I had to smile as she kept telling me the names of all the Brands "that's Next" or "that's M&S". I've never been seduced by brand names - especially with second-hand children's clothes. What I'm looking for is good condition, right size and cheap! I bought two hoodies, a long-sleeved top with leggings and a pair of jeans for £4 in total.

I popped to the mid week boot sale and found some more toys for the grandchildren and a couple of interesting looking books for me - even though I'm not supposed to be buying books! but at 50p each for hardback non-fiction it wasn't too expensive.
The big tub of zoo animals and another of dinosaurs were £2.50 each, giant teapot full of toy cups and saucers etc was just 50p. The box of Easter crackers? that's me being silly! 50p for the Easter mantelpiece. 



The books look as if they ought to have been listed for the Wainwright prize that I blogged about a few days ago but neither were. The Long, Long Life of Trees looks fascinating........... a whole chapter about each tree......nearly 300 pages in all. They are on my TBR heap and to make up for buying these, 3 have gone into the car for the next charity shop trip. Two others have gone on the Ziffit pile and another one into the bag ready for when I do another boot sale.


So as of today .................I'm still looking for...................
  • Forgotten I was supposed to be looking for a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar for Willow. I found one in a gift box with a furry caterpillar toy which made a gift for new Great Nephew but forgot Willow needed a copy too.
  • Need to find Christmas gifts for Penfriends.
  • If I find anymore Kilner preserving bottles...not jars.... I'll buy them for 2020! 
  • Anything interesting or useful??
 Thank you to everyone for comments on Saturday. I'm glad I'm not the only person totally uninterested by the space race, although it will probably be a good idea if someone does find another place for humans to live as our earth might not last forever. 

I had an exhausting 24 hours with Florence - she was awake before 5am, I may need a couple of weeks to recover! 
As there won't be much happening this week because the weather forecast is for HOT, I'm taking a few days off blogging. I'll be back when I've something to say!

Sue

29 comments:

  1. No idea whether you have a B&M store anywhere near you, but I've bought Kilner brand bottles (with the flip/ stopper lid) there in that pinkish-red colour they sometimes come in for 89p each this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even cheaper than a boot sale find! I'll pop in to B&M next time I'm in Stowmarket - don't often go there as its the other end of town from Asda and their carpark is a council one so have to pay for parking.
      Thank you for the info

      Delete
  2. The books look just like the type of thing the chap likes to read, I've jotted down the titles for him, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the covers of the books, I have been known in the past to buy a book just because it had a good cover.

    Nice to have a list of what you need. I have a list of which DVD boxsets I need to complete my collections and it paid off handsomely last week when a guy selling thousands of DVDs, with a few hundred boxed sets saw me referring to it. He asked me what I needed and had one of the sets and knew where it was on his stall ... on sale at 20p. Result 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rare to find new non fiction books at boot sales, mostly people have piles of romance or stuff I don't read.
      Good thing he knew where to find what you wanted, ploughing through 100s of DVDs is hard work

      Delete
    2. I hope you don't mind me saying ... that green writing is hard to read on my phone and tablet and completely impossible to read now I'm home and on the main computer. Even with my reading glasses on!

      Delete
  4. There is a reason to have children when you are young...a day spent with a lively grandchild will certainly remind you. Fun, but exhausting. I had my 5 year old grandson two days last week (...play with me Nanny!). Still working on my recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence never stops for a rest - she's on the go all day - totally exhausting. I even fell asleep on the settee when I back home from taking her home on Sunday morning and I NEVER fall asleep during the day!

      Delete
  5. It definitely gets easier with the grandkids as they grow older. As long as I have a craft on hand .. we are good to go. Although with the age differences at 3,5,6,7,8,9&10 .. it is hard to find crafts that all are interested in. I do get rather exhausted when all 7 come for a sleepover but they LOVE to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck as the search continues.

    Don't know if it is my computer, but there's a lot of neon green text that is just not readable, thought I'd mention in case it's not my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, the green is just me saying I found something, can't be bothered to change it!

      Delete
  7. You are doing very well in your search at car boot sales. I have not managed to get to many garage sales this summer. Hopefully very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are garage/yard sales in a nearby village next weekend. I hope to go and look ......weather permitting

      Delete
  8. I love the way you have a shopping list for the boot sales - it certainly saves on impulse purchases...just the same as normal shopping. What good news re the printer cartridges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do small impulse.......like the 50p books and the 50p Easter crackers!

      Delete
  9. Glad you survived the toddling tornado, lol. Our youngest grand-daughter, who we look after two seperate days a week, is just like that, non-stop. She also chatters continuesly although we're not sure what she's saying some of the time. I'd rather she's like that though than sitting quiet all the time.

    Enjoy your rest, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew.....I'm sure I couldn't look after Florence...I'd be shattered on my own

      Delete
  10. I read "island of dreams" and really enjoyed it. i'm sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your blog break - you certainly deserve one! And good luck with the tooth. I had to have one pulled a few months ago - no fun! I do hate dental work and sympathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The teapot is adorable. My 2yr old darling is here at the moment and she would love it. Enjoy your break and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your break Sue.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite unbearable here in The Dales Sue. Just hoping for that promised storm tonight so that I don't have to keep watering tubs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't know if you have a home bargains near you but I bought some bottles from there for 69p that I use for vinegar's/oils that I make. Still quite cool here the max temp only reaching 19 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have the same bucket with dinosaurs that you got. The teapot is very cute! I love teapots. Thank you for the book ideas! May you rest during your break.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a good haul from the car boot, Sue! I love the book covers. Hope you've enjoyed your 'post-Florence' rest, although the heat makes it difficult doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Due to Tom not being able to walk far our car boot excursions have been practically non existent this year. I'm hoping that when the weather cools I shall be able to deposit him on the seat at the cafe and take a walk around again, I miss them so much.
    When I look around at all the things I have from the car boot I just can't afford not to go.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete