A few weeks ago I asked Col's brother if he could find an hour to mend the bottom of the workshop door as it was looking very rotten with bits falling off. Unfortunately he couldn't spare the time because he'd just decided to start knocking his house about to find the old fireplace in the living room where he wants to put in a wood-burner ... before he retires in a few years and because very soon no one is going to be allowed to put a wood-burner in a house for the first time (I didn't know that) and as he spends all his weekends hauling and cutting wood to sell so has a ready supply of free wood.
He said he would find me a bit of metal to cover the door and I could do it myself!
I gave him the measurements and he found a bit of metal at work and drilled some holes in it for me ready to fix it on.
I started by clearing away the soil and grass from around the bottom of the door. Room for mice and rats to get in. I don't really want rats chewing the ride-on mower cables!
I used some pieces of wood for the plate to sit on to get it in the right place. Drilled some small holes to help the screws go in easier. I thought I was bound to find plenty of metal washers to sit beneath the screw heads but had to search through several boxes of odds and ends to find enough - good thing I hadn't chucked them out.
Eventually I got all the screws in through lots of the holes BiL had drilled. The bottom hinge side was too rotten to fix.
Andrew found me the brown mastic and mastic gun that he'd used when he'd linked two water butts together for me. But I couldn't squeeze the gun thing hard enough to get the mastic out, so sealed the top edge of the plate with some white bathroom mastic sealer I had in the garage.It will have to do for now.
Took me ages to do, but it should stop anymore bits falling off the bottom of the door and keep out everything except the smallest mice......I hope.