Monday 16 September 2019

Rural Bygones

On the 7th, after looking at the on-line catalogue I decided to visit the Rural Bygones sale at the auction yard at Campsea Ashe. This is their 3rd  of the year and there were a couple of things that looked interesting.......more interesting than the similar sales in February and July.

The Auctioneer said in his introduction that many of the lots had come from the attics of  an antique/junk shop in Yoxford which hadn't been touched since the 1960.......real treasure.

Just a few photos of the over 700 lots.

Lots of enamel ware



Interesting carts

 This would have been nice for the garden
 Lots of old children's annuals from the early 50's

 This box brought back memeories - old I-SPY books - loved these when I was young and albums full of the Typhoo- tea cards.
The world would be a better place if tea companies still gave picture cards with their tea!

 Who knew back in the 1950's and 60's people would be bidding for empty cardboard boxes!!

This dog-cart would be fun for grandchildren

 Dozens of old card advertising boards........fetching a lot of money, almost as much as the metal advertising signs.

Love these staddle stones, they went for £60 each.

lot image


 The things I was interested in were early on so I got a bidding card and hoped that no one else would want them. Vain hope! The prices went up too much and the 3 glass antique wasp traps which is what I would have liked most of all sold for £35 to an online bidder, I dropped out  before it got to £30.



lot image

I didn't stay much longer. Can't imagine being there all day, looked online on the i-bidder site  at 3pm and they were just on the 700's, many of the lots went to online bidders.

Next month they will be auctioning all the Elmer Elephants from the Hospice fundraising trail around Ipswich. I mentioned the one designed to celebrate local lad Ed Sheeran. That has online bidding already at £700.


Back Tomorrow
 Sue


24 comments:

  1. That has brought back some lovely memories from when I was a child!.I used to love the I Spy books and really looked after mine.I used to take them every where with me!Plus the cards that came with the tea..Mine used to be kept together with an elastic band,we couldnt afford an album,lol.And how ever long you had them,they always smelt of tea!.These memories have brought a nice warm glow to me of happy times when I was a kid.Ive got a feeling that my Mam has still got some of them cards!I can remember when Fab ice lollies had them too.They were in side a little pocket in the wrapper.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure chest! Looking at those photos brought back so many memories.
    I'd love to have a garden big enough for one of those gorgeous carts and the sundial is gorgeous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My late hubby used to go to Campsea Ashe every Monday, he loved it. He preferred it when they did live-stock and I never knew what he'd turn up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant sale - just up my street, as we used to say in Hampshire. Must check it out and see what treasures they were selling. Shall I keep my eye open for a wasp trap for you? All sorts turn up at the Fairs we go to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a really interesting sale. It's not a good idea for me to go to something like that, I do tend to get carried away with bidding wars. I bet the wasp traps would have been mine for £50 ... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an interesting day you had, I bet my children would have looked to had been there. I know old farm items can sell for lots of money. I remember the tea cards.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to go to a sale like that. Vintage stuff sells for ridiculously high prices nowadays though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like my attic! What a fun day out. Sorry you didn't get your wasp traps, but it is easy to get carried away, so well done on your restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know you're getting old when you go to these old life displays and recognise things you used to use yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've set my mind a-wandering now, back to the 'good-old-days' when we manufactured good quality things instead of the current cheap imports we can't get away from.

    I have a photograph of my Grandmother sitting on one of those carts with her eldest child as a baby. Her first husband was a carter transporting goods from the railway station to wherever they needed to be. With his experience of horse and cart he did much the same in WW1 where he ferried much needed items acros the battle field and was killed by a sniper.

    I used to collect the tea cards and still have the albums including the one I can see on the top.

    Lots of thoughts leading in all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My old Walls's ice cream galvanised zinc planter ended up in the sea after the flood. It came from my dad's and goodness knows where he got it from. I have also got a stash of old tea cards - the famous cricketers set and one of flowers. I agree bring back tea cards - children have all the fun now collecting the give away cards from supermarkets - but they are awful pictures on most of them and nothing like the tea cards were.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If only we had a glimpse of the future, all those things we threw out including boxes now worth money! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great memories! I loved the I Spy books when I was little. I always got a new one when we were travelling to Wales for summer holidays! Also an annual at Christmas time. I just gave a box of tea card albums to my grandson. My daughter’s Gran used to send them to her from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That place was like going to a museum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treasure trove! Like others here, I had I-Spy books and collected Brooke Bond tea cards. You know you're old when the local museum has a display of kitchenalia and there are items in it which you still use! What a shame prices went too high for you. I wonder how old the bidders were? Probably surprisingly young.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love sales like that too. I remember tea cards very well, bring them back I say! I could happily spend all day at a sale like that and buy nothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great sale. I would have loved those boxes of annuals but I bet they were mega money....what memories they would have bought me.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the blue pony cart! Always loved carriages of any size.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the enamelware, would have been tempted to buy some, I use to go to auctions and buy boxes of stuff for a few pounds, keep all the good stuff and carboot the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love antiques and when you browse through them, it's almost like going back in time - those who collect are keeping parts of history available.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only thing better than the auction would be to have found the shop in Yoxford. Tantalizing to think of treasures gathering dust just beyond our reach.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw lots of things I would have loved to have.. the bread boxes and copper pots for one. What a treasure trove! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - it would be lovely to look around and see things, but not sure I'd be buying.

    The elephants were really fun. I saw many of them while I was back and took lots of photos - including of the Ed Sheeran one. He ended up buying the Pig that was of him a few years back. It's a great way to raise money for the St. Elizabeth's Hospice and it was fun to see children getting so excited to see each elephant and ticking off the ones they'd seen on their maps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a treasure trove, I loved all the enamelware what a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete