There are so few cooking apples on my tree this year that the bruised windfalls are even more precious. I thought the best way to use them would be for the chilli jelly, because only the juice would be needed. So a couple of weeks ago I picked up all I could find cut all the manky bits and was left with just over 2lb of decent chopped bits to which I added a pint of white vinegar and a pint of water and a few chopped chillies. Cooked this altogether for about 30 minutes and then strained through the jelly bag for several hours.
I ended up with 1½ pints juice. I heated this gently while adding the equivalent amount of sugar then added some chopped chillies and brought to boil.
Test for setting on a cold plate. Pour into hot jars and seal.
The things that went wrong were -
The juice wasn't as clear as I expected
Some scum formed that I couldn't clear even by adding a bit of butter, which works for jam
The bits of chilli rose to the top of the jelly in the jars.
I know it's hot as I tried some - Phew - Very Hot.
I think a couple of jars are good enough to give away in the Christmas hampers, and eldest daughter wanted some too.