Thursday 25 March 2021

25th Lady Day

Last year on the 25th my blog post featured some photos of the flowers on the meadow to cheer us up after just starting the Strange Times of lockdown - never thinking that a year later we would still be  stuck at home and I'd have sold the house! It is a relief to know I've not got to take care of so much garden this year but worrying to note that I've not labelled any posts "Strange Times" since 20th February - no longer strange just a resigned sort of normal now.

And once again it's Lady Day, the Christian festival remembering the Annunciation of Mary and the Immaculate Conception and my sister is another year older again!

 Lady Day was the day when servants and farm workers made an agreement with their employers that they wouldn't change their jobs in the next year and until the mid 18C it was the first day of the year for official purposes.

According to Chambers Book of Days it was once thought to be unlucky for Easter Day to fall on 25th March

                     "When Our Lord falls in Our Lady's lap, then let England beware a rap"

The book then goes on to say that over history this has been proved to be false (bit like most of the weather sayings!)

Two paintings of The Annunciation from my book of Saints Days. The top is by Roger A d'Hulst and the bottom one by Leonardo da Vinci.


Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have not done a lot of foreign travel, but in 2003 I went to Florence with my daughter and saw the Leonardo "Annunciation" in the Uffizi. It was awesome! You've brought back a lovely memory of a special day. Thanks Sue. We WILL get through this strange times... And hug, and laugh together, and rebuild our lives. But until then, I'm grateful for the friendships in Blogland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank goodness for blogland friends and conversations

      Delete
  2. The old Lady Day was New Year's Day on 5th April, our end of tax year, before the Gregorian calendar took away 11 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to know all four of the days when rents were due and there were hiring 'markets' (for want of a better word). Working in the Insurance Department of a Building Society head office the majority of the policies had these dates as the renewal - 25th March Lady's Day, 24th June Midsummer Day, 29th September (can't remember that one) and 25th December Christmas Day. Some things still stick (apart from September, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a young man, my late father-in-law (first husband), was hired under this annual agreement. The Hiring Fair was a big day in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several authors in the past have written about Hiring Fairs - seems strange to think of nowadays

      Delete
  5. Yes, it's funny but these don't feel like strange times anymore do they, it's more like we are in a limbo between the old way of life and what is to come ... which hopefully is a bit more freedom.

    I thoroughly agree with you treating yourself to a nice bunch of flowers every week from now on, gosh you've grown enough in your time it's about time someone did the work for you and you just had the pleasure of arranging them (or just bunging them in a vase the way I do). It will also give you a brilliant photo for the blog once a week along with your library book stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunging in a vase is my way too!
      I was in town this morning and apart from all the charity shops being closed and many other shops also and only 3 stalls on the market things looked like a normal Thursday.

      Delete
  6. That explains why the devotional reading in my "in box" was about the annunciation.
    We too moved during this pandemic. Hard to believe we have almost come through it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting to hear about completion of my purchase, seems to be delayed again

      Delete
    2. Your mention of Lady Day took me back to my childhood days Sue because Lady Day was still an important date in Lincolnshire's Farming Calendar in the thirties. I rather think it completely died out in the deep country after the Second World War.

      Delete
  7. How interesting! You always come up with the most interesting things for your blog posts!
    I can't believe a year has passed. I am so done with this. I am just keeping fingers and toes crossed that I can come back and see Mum as I feel as though time is running out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew that there was such a thing as Lady's Day. I love that I learn something new from your blog all the time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete