Friday 26 March 2021

Debenham

Last week after picking up my library books I walked up and down the village street to take some photos of several of the old houses in Debenham. I've lived 4 miles from Debenham for the last 3 years but haven't mentioned it much on the blog so some photos before I move a wee bit further away (only a couple of miles further but on the other side of the main A road).

 Debenham calls itself  "a rural idyll in the heart of Mid Suffolk" . It's a large village now - population around 2,400 and had 69 households back in1086 which was large for then too.

It's on a B road and busy with traffic (not so idyllic when you are trying to drive through and everywhere is jammed up with parked cars)  but in the past still a busy place as it's on the old road that goes from Ipswich to Diss, several of the pubs would have been coaching Inns. 

I've not included photos of the church as that can be seen here when I visited HERE    back in July 2018 (and looking back to find Debenham Church I realised how much I'm looking forward to visiting some of the other 50 Suffolk Churches that were featured in Treasures In Suffolk Churches book , my last church visit was just before lock-down in March 2020)

This is in the side window of the Pharmacy and chemist shop. The sign looks very old but the shop is still up and running.

 

So many half timbered houses in this large village

 

This house is fascinating. Difficult to get a good photo as the road junction is busy. It has herringbone brickwork between the timber frame and is 3 stories as well as an area underneath.

An interesting passageway passing underneath another timber frame house

 

The Woolpack is now the only pub in the village, there were two open just a couple of years ago and three in the not very distant past. The pub called The Cherry Tree is now occupied by the vets.


The Grade II Listed, late 14C house below was for sale for £400,000 , The description says "The property is situated in the historic part of the village and is of timber frame with rendered elevations and exposed studding to the front. This Wealden house has a later addition with an early-mid C16 wing to the rear, and is located in a prominent position overlooking the medieval Cross Green and former village pump."

And this is the former village pump mentioned above


Below is the large United Reformed Church in the centre of the village Another Grade II Listed building

 I've got some more photos to share on Monday.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

18 comments:

  1. What a charming village. How lucky you are to have lived nearby. Right to take photos; I have lived most of my life in one place and wish I hadn't taken the ancient streets, houses, and green fields for granted, as it's all changed so much, in tiny, subtle bites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suffolk has some lovely villages, it is a shame that the pubs had to close but if they are not making money you can understand it. I think the drink driving laws had something to do with it and we can only be glad that people are not being killed and injured by drunk drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely village Sue - I have been through it a few times when in Suffolk on holiday - but its population is larger than our little town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting place! Lovely to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing those photos. I find those old buildings fascinating! You live in a beautiful area. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy viewing these photos you shared. Lovely old buildings. I think we'd be thru there last century. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to see these wonderful old homes and buildings. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful spot. I was shocked at the 400,000 price of the 14C house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just gorgeous. I love sightseeing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful place to live. I'm really looking forard to your Suffolk churches visits again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely place to live. So interesting to see the 14th century homes still being used. There is nothing that old where I live. Our home is 100 years old (well at least the front part) and is one of the oldest in this area.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing the photos, Sue. Makes me happy and sad at the same time. I really can't wait to get back for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd forgotten village pumps! The village where my mother grew up in Lincolnshire had one. I have a vague, early memory of actually seeing water come out of it... I think. You know what such memories are like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your county seems to be rich in such villages. I've visited Lavenham a couple of times. I took my NZ parents there in 2000 and my Dad commented that the town was built even before Maori people arrived in NZ. It's a kind of history that takes some getting your head around and people from old countries just take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks lovely and has a lot of properties very similar to where I am now and of around the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I'm wondering now where you live. I lived in Crowfield back in the 1980's for a couple of years. Coming from the industrial Midlands, I found Suffolk very quaint and charming, and the people mostly very friendly. I've been back in the Midlands for a long time, but I often think about those days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely town. I really do love the half-timbered buildings. They're quite beautiful and unique.

    ReplyDelete