Wednesday 17 March 2021

Two Saints

 Many countries are better than England at celebrating their Saints days and Irish people around the world will know that today is St. Patrick's Day.

This is what my book 'Calendar of Saints' says about him

Saint Patrick was born in Britain, of Roman stock, probably with the name Patricious Magonus Sucatus When is was about 14 in the year 403, Irish raiders carried him away to their country as a slave. Here he learned to pray while looking after his master's herds.
He escaped in a ship taking dogs to Gaul and there he became a disciple of saint Germanus of Auxerre and studied at the monastery of Lerins. After 15 years he dreamed of Ireland and determined to return as a missionary. Saint Germanus consecrated him Bishop and he returned to Ireland in 432 . He confronted King Laoghaire with the Christain Gospel and converted his daughters. The Saint wrote that he daily expected to be killed or enslaved.
In 444 he established the bishopric of Armagh and the organization of the Irish Church became secure.
 
This hymn and prayer is called St Patricks Breastplate
 
 
 
According to my book the 17th March is also the day for remembering Joseph Of Arimathea. Nothing is known about Joseph except what's written in the gospels.
 
From Mark 15.
"Joseph of  Arimathea,an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the Kingdom of God, came, and went boldly unto Pilate and craved the body of Jesus.....and he brought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre".
 
400 years later a legend said that Joseph had later travelled as a missionary to Britain and founded a church at Glastonbury in Somerset.
 
HERE is the story of the Glastonbury Thorn.
 
Such nasty weather here in Mid Suffolk yesterday, wet and windy, hope today is better.
Back Tomorrow (with answers to some questions)
Sue


14 comments:

  1. I've just read that the river in Chicago will be dyed green today (cancelled last year) altho they can't have the annual St Patrick's Day Parade. It's such a lurid colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way so many people with Irish heritage celebrate around the world.

      Delete
    2. Not ''lurid''--the river is shamrock green! 🍀

      Delete
  2. Sorry you had horrid weather - we had spring sunshine and I was out in the garden a lot! Hoping to do the same for the next couple of days and slowly get things planted - once I've excavated (literally!) a hole or three.

    St Patrick's Breastplate is what the Vicar (Merrily) in the Phil Rickman novels calls upon when she is in the diocese and dealing with spooky happenings. She is the Deliverance Consultant (Exorcist music here!!). If you haven't read his books, they are great reading and the Merrily ones especially glue you to the page. All set along the Welsh Marches. I have them all . . .

    I didn't realize that St Patrick lived in daily fear of being killed for his beliefs. I hadn't realized it was St Patrick's Day today. The Irish contingent will be missing going to Cheltenham this year . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend recommended the Phil Rickman series several years ago and I tried and for some reason didn't get on with them. I can't remember why

      The weather forecast showed cloud all down the east again for today - Not Fair!

      Delete
  3. https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/phil-rickman/

    His earlier books are a little different, but still very readable and quite spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at school in Belfast for four years and we always sang St Patrick's Breastplate on March 17th. I'd never heard it before and I really loved it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the prayer until I found some of it written in the saints book - and looked up you tube to find it set to music.

      Delete
  5. I brace myself every year for the misspelling by so many of Saint Patrick, whereby they turn him into a woman. I refuse to even type it, and I'm sure you know what I mean. I enjoy learning all I can about our early Celtic saints, and there have been some good programmes on lately where I learned so much. I love that kind of music, and she has a beautiful, pure voice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My late Mother in law used to send to Ireland for shamrock each year and my husband and siblings would wear them to school (or church) on St Patrick's day. They would pass Wirral Hi!l in Glastonbury on the bus to school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to wear a red rose on 23rd April when I worked at the supermarket. Invarmiably I would be asked why I was wearing it. I think most English people know the dates of the other three saints but not their own St George. It is also Sakespeare's birthday. Until football made the English flag known no one knew what the little badge was that I used to wear on my uniform - people asked if it was for the red cross.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize it was Joseph of Arimathea Day too. I've always been intrigued by Glastonbury.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know the full background of Saint Patrick, thank you for sharing it. The song and video is beautiful. St Patrick's Day is normally a great day of celebration here with a large parade in Kansas City. Unfortunately, like last year there will be no public celebrations yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m Irish and came to study in the UK in 1970 and never went home. For years my mother would send me shamrock on St Patrick’s Day, though the post, with the soil still on!

    ReplyDelete