Tuesday 23 March 2021

Library Book Photo

 This was a nice surprise. When I transferred my book pick up point to Debenham library I wasn't expecting so many to arrive all at once.


From the top
Solo - a cooking-for-one book.....but a bit fancy and faffy for me and it includes how to roast a chicken - which didn't really seem like something that ought to feature in a solo cooking book.
Elly Griffiths - The Postscript Murders. This is the second of a new series and I can't remember a thing about the first so will need to look up the blurb to remind myself.
William Shaw - Salt Lane. A new to me author, mentioned on someones blog I think. I've had a quick flip through and it looks pretty violent - not sure I'll get into it.
Alexander McCall Smith - How to Raise an Elephant. A quick read - I've finished it already. This is the 21st in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series set in sunny Botswana. A lovely gentle read - no violent crime and in this one no crime at all.
Robert Harris- V2. I've read a few of his books - always a meaty read.
Cora Harrison - Death of a Prominent Citizen. The 7th in a series set in Ireland in the 1920's during the first troubles.

These should see me through a week or two before moving and after I got home there were emails for two more that must have been in the bottom of the crate the library lady was unpacking.
 
 Speaking of moving ......the last of the legal searches for the place that the people in 'my' bungalow are buying in Kent was due to be with their solicitor last Friday. So as long as there aren't too many queries and questions and with fingers tightly crossed exchange and completion should happen during the last week of March. AND thank goodness I've been able to pay for the week after Easter here so I can stay a bit longer in case the removal company are too busy to move me on the day I get the key. All extra expense but better than being homeless and it should make moving in less stressful.
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. You must feel really displaced and edgy at the moment, Sue - I know I would. At least you've got some books to read....it's not like there's anything much else you can do, in a holiday let. Keep focusing on the end result, every day is a day nearer to being in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, it must be rather unsettling, having the exchange of contracts and actual move still in freefall. I hope you get firm dates for everything SOON. At least you have a goodly pile of books to keep you happy - I have Elly Griffiths envy as I haven't read her two latest ones and won't until I can get them half price in Tesco's again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty to read is the only good thing about all this waiting

      Delete
  3. Very wise and it should, as you say, make the actual move much less stressful and give you options. It must feel so immediate now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still feels like it will never happen although I know it will

      Delete
  4. All rather stressful, but you are wise enough to know that you cannot do anything but wait (and make a cuppa, put your feet up and read...) The Robert Harris looks interesting. As you say, always a meaty read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness you've got some books to read - that would be my worst nightmare, to have nothing to read! I have the Elly Griffiths book out from the library at the moment and will read that next after I finish Kate Humbles book which I am enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I would hate to be stuck somewhere without a book.
      Lovely to see you have a new blog to read

      Delete
  6. I do so admire your equanimity Sue - I think I would be tearing my hair out. (although it is so desperate for cutting that would not be a bad thing at the moment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying very hard to be patient while waiting - it's not easy!

      Delete
  7. It is often said that stress occurs in situations you have no control over - which is why managers are less stressed than employees. Waiting for legal events sounds the essence of stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating - as searches in Suffolk only took a couple of weeks but 6 weeks down in Kent

      Delete
  8. That looks like a great pile of books to keep your mind off of your worries! Time will go quickly and you will be moving in before you know it! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm frustrated at the time it's taking - but moving is always like this

      Delete
  9. A sensible idea to wait a bit longer. You don't need the stress of last minute arrangements. You'll be able to do things at your pace for once! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things get sorted soon as I could still end up homeless!

      Delete
  10. I'm crossing my fingers for and with you Sue! What perfect timing for you to receive that stack of books. Relax and enjoy them because it sounds like you will be really busy in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to being busy, I'm no good at waiting

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog as we go through this house selling and buying, as you know yourself how stressful it is. Sounds as though you're on the way.. Is your holiday home comfortable, hope it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last 2 moves took 6 months each but hopefully this one will "only"be 5 months and always hitches and hold ups.
      Some countries seem to do things more quickly and with less stress.

      Delete
  12. Perhaps the book recommended was The Salt Path by Raynor Winn. I've just finished it and it's brilliant.
    Good luck with the move - you've had an even more stressful year than the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Elly Griffiths but I've only read the Ruth Galloway books. I'll have to check this new series out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't read very fast so it would take me a while to wade through that lot! (I must be a glutton for punishment as I actually like long books!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the Elly Griffiths book is good. I usually enjoy her books.

    ReplyDelete