Saturday 20 March 2021

Saturday Round-Up and the Spring Equinox

 As well as a tree for each of the months in the Ogham Tree Alphabet Book, there are also shrubs or trees that represent other points in the wheel of the year and the other letters of the alphabet.

The Spring or Vernal equinox (meaning equal night) can happen on the 20th, 21st or 22nd March. This year its today.

Represented by Gorse



This photo below dates from January 2019 and was taken a couple of miles from the Cottage at the end of the lane.

The spring equinox  still determines when  Easter will be....the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the spring equinox. Hope the weather improves before then as it's been a dreary week weather wise in Suffolk until at last yesterday we got some sunshine. I've been mainly reading and watching too much TV again. I'm in Sicily now with Inspector Montalbano - haven't quite decided if they are meant to be a bit funny in places or if that's how the police work there!

I've been doing a short walk each day....I am so unfit it's frightening..... although there really isn't anywhere to go in this village, there are footpaths beside the roads in some places but in others just grass verges or high banks and a surprising amount of traffic. My bike is still a few miles away in BiLs garage as I didn't want to bother him to bring it then have to move it again if I wasn't going to be here long but no sign of completion yet so I'll get him to bring it when he has time.

Thank you to everyone for comments and more questions for me to answer when I'm short of ideas for posts.

Have a super-douper weekend

Back Monday
Sue







13 comments:

  1. It will truly be Spring, however you count it, after this weekend, won't it? It was a beautiful day here too - sunshine is so very cheering.
    I'm glad you are getting out and about.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will find Inspector Montalbano just has one funny man, who always overacts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gorse I think it is such a nice colour.
    I had to go to town yesterday to the bank so quiet, I needed to get some money forI had not been since Christmas, it was nice but i was glad to be home my daughter took me for the family won't let me go on the bus yet it was a nice outing. I am starting to make some Twilly muffs for the ladies at the care home it will make a change from blankets. Have a nice weekend Sue and everyone.🌈🌈hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe that I have ever seen gorse, but it certainly was a trial for Winnie the Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring has sprung here! At least temperature wise. It will be awhile before trees start budding though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same about Montalbano but it still makes good viewing. Might watch one tonight as there is nothing on worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the perfume of gorse. It is considered a noxious weed here in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Spring! We've also had dreary, wet weather for over a week but it does look like we might get a bit of sun today. Today is also my youngest son's birthday so I'll be taking him a cake and gift later today. I hope you have a great weekend and your weather improves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lovely 1st day of spring here; rain moved through last night, with sunny, clear skies today. I've enjoyed coffee on the back patio looking out over the newly leafed out roses and buddleia. What plans do you have for a garden at your (soon to be) bungalow? Will you have a cutting garden again?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking the same -- I hope the weather is lovely by Easter. You never know here. This is a lovely post -- happy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorse is treated as a noxious weed over here: we hate it, it is so invasive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have also been watching Detective Montalbano - I get it from the library and I will be watching Episode 13 this evening. They do have a comedic side but I love some of the characters now that I have got to know them. It's like having a bunch of quirky friends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorse is so beautiful, and I love how you can so often smell it's delicious fragrance on the breeze, often long before you see it.

    ReplyDelete