Wednesday 31 March 2021

Last Day of the Month

 The last day of the month has always been my round up of frugal things, ways of saving money on the mundane and boring  to be able to spend on things more exciting and I'll get back to that eventually.
 
In the meantime March spending was mostly related to moving.......not cheap..... and the car full service and MOT test - it passed with no problems. 
There were two electric bills, the regular quarterly and the final meter reading and I had one pair of my living-room curtains cleaned. The initial plan was to get all three pairs cleaned until I found out how much it was going to cost - almost cheaper to buy new curtains. When the others are unpacked they'll get washed very gently on a cool wash without spin dry.
I spent out on a cycle helmet and some fleece ear warmer  bands to wear under it as it's impossible to wear a hat under the helmet and when my ears get cold in windy weather I always end up with a headache.
Usual expenses of direct debits for phones - Home phone and broadband D/D will start again £5 cheaper when I move. I've only been buying food to eat straight away and eating the frozen stuff I brought with me so not much spent there.
 
Then I bought a book - don't know what came over me as I never buy cookery books - maybe it was all due to the frustration about the hold up with the bungalow purchase. It kept coming up on my recommended list is my only excuse! I'll let you know in due course if it was worth the purchase
 


How lovely the sun was yesterday and luckily I discovered a pair of shorts tucked away with the clothes I'd brought so was able to enjoy the mini March heatwave (and forecast today too). There is one of those tables with the rattan chairs tucked underneath on the patio here which was handy.  What a shame the Easter weekend is forecast cold again.
 
Don't forget to leave a comment on yesterdays post if you would like to go in the hat for a chance to get sent the Richard Osman book The Thursday Murder Club.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. I had to look twice at the cover of your new book, to assure myself that those stains are part of the design, and it didn't arrive damaged! What crazy weather - you talk about fleece headbands to keep your ears warm on the bike (brilliant things, I love mine) AND having shorts to wear as its warm outside! Hope you have a happy, blessed Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo of the book cover looks worse than in real life - but an odd choice anyway.
      I was so glad yesterday when I found a pair of shorts among the the bags of clothes I brought with me but back to warm clothes after today I think. Yes totally crazy weather.

      Delete
  2. I don't know that it is such a shame that it's to be cold again for the Easter weekend, it will keep the crowds smaller and the COVID cases a little lower.......hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wear a hand knitted ear-flap hat under my cycle helmet for the same reason. I don't wear it now as I've no reason to cycle when it's that cold! I just hope the cold weather doesn't linger too long.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so warm here after all today - Oh well, one day was good.

      Delete
  4. It looks really interesting, that book. I look forward to your review.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library didn't have it was another excuse!

      Delete
  5. Your ear-flap is a good idea. Yes it was a beautiful day yesterday I managed to do 30 pots of sweet-peas up (D, GD) my Dad was a sweet-pea grower and won lots if prizes so I always grow a few. I save my toilet rolls to plant them up in.
    Can I be included in your HAT for the book please.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in a village where a master sweet-pea grower and breeder lived - his displays looked lovely at the village flower show

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you now have a helmet! I agree, keep your ears warm, or headache will surely follow. While I'm all for economy, I think I'd look for a more welcoming, enticing word than "scraps" Will be interested to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I got it right ready for getting my bike here- the roads are much busier than where I biked at the cottage - and will be when I get to my new proper home too

      Delete
  7. I have decided that some months are just more expensive than others. You go with it. (And sometimes you deserve a treat -- the cookbook looks good!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look like an interesting cookbook and it will add to the variety of what you have to read for the moment. I hope you hear something soon on your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you were able to get a helmet and a hat to wear under it. Headaches are no fun. I haven't had a bicycle in years and I am thinking about getting one. I ordered a book online just a bit ago. On sale and free shipping with code I got from watching IF:Gathering this year. Some at church more later online. A lady that has a book that has touched my heart..Christine Caine. Even though I am going to be retired next month, I still need to keep going in my walk with the Lord til the end of time. Enjoy your new month and hopefully you get into your bungelow soon. Blessed Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shall be interested to hear about your new book. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. March has been a quiet month, but in the coming months, with plans to get a house on land in another state, that will change. Then moving house is always expensive. Especially when moving cross-country. I'd love to know what you think about the recipes in the "Cooking With Scraps" cookbook. What an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to know if that cookbook is worth purchasing. I don't think I use up everything to advantage and that book looks like it could be a big help in doing so.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book looks good, but I'll be good and wait for your review before I purchase one for myself ... I've bought far too many books recently, my neighbours are going to be thinking that I'm having an affair with the Amazon delivery guy!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete