Thursday 21 July 2022

All About Aubergines

A colour plate dating from the C19 in a little book about vegetables I picked up for £2.46 from Abebooks. Been waiting for it to appear cheap with free postage after it popped up somewhere as a recommendation. (I'm a sucker for little books with interesting illustrations and bits of random information!)

 

And 21st Century Aubergines from my greenhouse


Somewhere on line I read about their possible health benefits

  Full of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre and with the potential to lower cholesterol and help manage weight, aubergines are a great choice for salads, stews and beyond. .
Aubergines are rich in antioxidants, specifically nasunin  found in aubergine skin - which gives it its purple colour. ( I know someone who doesn't eat the skins - better tell them about this!) A potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger, nasunin has been found to protect the lipids (fats) in brain cell membranes. Cell membranes are almost entirely composed of lipids and are responsible for protecting the cell and helping it to function. The lipid layer is crucial for letting nutrients in, wastes out and receiving instructions from messenger molecules that tell the cell what to do.

 Aubergines are very ancient vegetables first recorded in India where it is called Brinjal. In Spanish it is Berengenas (apples of Love), Aubergines  here or Eggplants in the USA (they were originally white and smaller), are members of the the nightshade family Solanaceae.

On the history of Aubergines........ Wiki says..........
 The aubergine is unrecorded in England until the 16th century. An English botany book in 1597 described the madde or raging Apple:

This plant groweth in Egypt almost everywhere... bringing foorth fruite of the bignes of a great Cucumber.... We have had the same in our London gardens, where it hath borne flowers, but the winter approching before the time of ripening, it perished: notwithstanding it came to beare fruite of the bignes of a goose egge one extraordinarie temperate yeere... but never to the full ripenesse.

Because of the plant's relationship with various other nightshades, the fruit was at one time believed to be extremely poisonous.(Like tomatoes and potatoes were when they were first brought here) The flowers and leaves can be poisonous if consumed in large quantities due to the presence of solanine.

 Originally they were really bitter and needed salting and draining before eating but in Europe and the Americas the bitterness has been bred out. In Africa and oriental cooking there are still some bitter varieties that are used.

And as  it's such an old and widely used vegetable there are recipes from many cultures and it can be steamed, stir-fried, pan fried, deep fried, barbecued, roasted, baked, stewed, curried, stuffed or pickled.

 I've been growing them for many years now, although before I started growing them I'd never eaten one.  I start seeds in the electric propagator in early March, then pot up into small pots and keep in at night until the weather is warm enough to leave them in the greenhouse all night.They go into bigger pots and need plenty of water and before producing the first fruits which are ready just before mid July.

I use them in a few recipes but my favourite is to make a big batch of pasta sauce using aubergines, onions, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic puree and black pepper. (there's a courgette chucked in there too this time as I'm adding them to everything!). Portioned up and in the freezer for quick meals later in the year.

 
There's never a mention anywhere of the very vicious short spines on the green calyx so that aubergines need cutting from the plant with scissors and carrying into the kitchen very carefully.
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue


31 comments:

  1. My SIL gave me some aubergine plants in May. They've produced leaves and flowers but no sign of fruit as yet. I hope they do, as I love eating aubergines. I DO know that it is inappropriate for me to sign off with the aubergine emoji! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to have slowed them down in the greenhouse now which is odd - can't imagine that it could be too hot for them

      Delete
  2. I'm glad they are healthy because I eat quite a few. The thing is they absorb oil so I am not sure how they can be good for lowering cholesterol. I always ask for Brinjal curries, and I now see that it is the name for them in India. Must admit curries taste very similar to me except for the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my own curries better than any take aways!

      Delete
  3. I am very impressed.

    Do they taste better that shop bought ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I never managed to bring myself to enjoy eating aubergines and still shudder at the mention of them on a menu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Piraeus the produce markets have at least 6 different varieties of eggplant (melitjania here) - long narrow ones, goose-egg sized ones, striped ones, white ones, dark purple ones, lavender ones, the prickly ones you have, ones with no prickles. Some are meaty and stand up to baking, others wet and collapse under a bit of applied heat. Once back in UK we are going to look more closely at growing our own and finding some that suit the climate. I have seen white ones growing outdoors in the borders at Kew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see all the different sorts for sale. Just normal purple here in the supermarkets

      Delete
  6. I don’t mind aubergines as long as I can’t really see them! Perfect in a tomato based sauce which I also make. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely illustration I love eggplant it has a meaty texture I enjoy.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried growing these , thanks for the information
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not something we grow...neither do we grow courgettes, however they are beginning to be handed in from next door...thus I begin the hide it it the meal ceremonies! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never have much luck growing them. The plants flower but then the flowers wither and drop off. Nic

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pasta sauce sounds good though Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea the vegetable carried so many health benefits. Your recipe sounds good. Eggplant Parmesan is what I remember having last.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love aubergine - aubergine lasagne is my go-to dish, a family favourite and possibly even better the next day! But I have never been very successful at growing them. They get to about three inches and fall off. Next year I am going to follow your method to the letter and perhaps source more interesting seed. There is a grower who sells an array of different-coloured aubergines, including striped ones, at the local farmer’s market. Sarah from Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  14. The seed catalogues have a few different varieties nowadays but I just stick to the purple

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only recently learnt why they are called eggplants. Once you see the shape as they grow and the colour it makes much more sense! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  16. We get several varieties here in the shops - the usual big purple ones, small ones and long thin ones. In the speciality stores there are even more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately I'm seriously allergic to the Nightshade family. Between potatoes and tomatoes, and chilli of course, that seriously dents my options when eating out! It's such a darned nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet they make great pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just got flowers on my eggplant this week. I am so looking forward to harvesting them and making moussaka and parma for the freezer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete