Monday 11 July 2022

Another Book Found and Aubergine Answer

I found a comment from Elizabeth left on the gardening post over a week ago asking what Aubergines seeds I grew.This year they were 'Genie' from the Marshalls seed company. Started with heat in the electric propagator  around the first week of March. I have no idea if I've ever grown this variety before but I know a couple of years ago I had some called Moneymaker.
Thank you also to Sarah who left a lovely long comment about vegetable growing on that same post that I'd not spotted.

 

From a boot-sale recently I came home with this little book for 50p. It's got some good illustrations.

I had to smile as I walked away from  the man who was selling it because when I asked "how much?" he held out his hand for the book, looked at the front and then at the back and then inside the title page and then he flicked through it and after all that said "you can have it for 50p"! (Was he very indecisive or perhaps he thought he'd left a £10 note inside! and did he dither like that over everything he was selling).

This means that since the beginning of April I've added 8 countryside type books to my shelves. The six from last month


  and one from the sale shelf in a church a while ago.

and the new one. 

So far I've read 2 out of the 8 during my weeks of enforced reading-from-my-shelves.

Well, Wimbledon is all over for another year. With the various finals spread out over more days, there seemed more opportunity to watch - including some of the amazing the wheelchair finals. Now I'll be watching the rest of the Tour of France and then the Commonwealth Games to look forward to starting at the end of the month.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


 

21 comments:

  1. Those are all my sort of books. Many years ago (and I may have it still) I had a book called "God's Little Acre", a beautifully illustrated book about churchyard wildlife.

    Where we used to live, on one of the walks I did was a chapel with a graveyard (they had sold the plot with the original baptism pool and a house now stands on it - what a loss!) In May/early June it used to be an absolute picture with about half an acre of wild Aquilegias Then one of the Chapel Elders must have said something about it being untidy and they mowed it every year. I mourn those flowers still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the God's Acre book the one produced by the WI who did surveys of churchyards? I Can't remember

      Delete
    2. Yes Sue, you’re correct. Lovely book, still on my bookshelves!

      Delete
  2. That looks an interesting book as I enjoy walking around old churchyards many of which are a haven for birds and other wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like living right opposite a churchyard. I can walk through everytime I go into the village

      Delete
  3. I like the look of that Stefan Bukzacki book, what a bargain for 50p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might not have bought it if it had cost more!

      Delete
  4. Are aubergines easy to grow (in the same easy-league as tomatoes, cucumbers, etc)? I've never tried it but maybe, in a container next year? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever grown them in polytunnel or greenhouse - they need a lot of warmth.

      Delete
  5. I’ve only ever grown them in the greenhouse. If I remember rightly they have very pretty flowers. We didn’t really like eating them though, perhaps I ought to try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people aren't keen but I've found several good ways of using them. They are quite a meaty vegetable making up for lack of meat in recipes

      Delete
  6. Just what I thought - Wimbledon over - now I can watch Le Tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the TV on to watch and found it was a rest day

      Delete
  7. Your collection of countryside books are all great finds. 50p for the last one is a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50p is usually my limit for books I know nothing about!

      Delete
  8. Maybe he was saying goodbye to an old favourite, and then decided that, yes, you were a suitable new owner for it. It's an interesting looking book for 50p. I've just bought three new ones ... none for ages and then three come along all at once ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to google "aubergines" as I couldn't remember what they were. I had forgotten that is an eggplant. I have had to do the same a while back with "courgettes" and saw it was a zucchini. I was googling about the difference in names and found a fun article listing 15 foods that we call by different names.
    https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/15-foods-us-and-uk-call-different-names
    It has been good for me to meet bloggers from around the world and learn about their lives and their languages and their customs. We have so much in common even if we do name it differently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been following Wimbledon on live replays as they broadcast in the middle of the night here. Exciting stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those books will make lovely reading.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a wonderful selection of books to read. The only sports I watch is American football. We have britbox and acorn streaming apps on our tvs so we watch a lot of your British detective shows. (Really not much tv in the summer for us at all)
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew eggplant in the garden a couple of years. We ate a lot from the garden! I occasionally also watched a young fellow my daughter's ages and he announced, seeing them on the counter, he didn't like eggplant. From then on we called our dish E P Stew. He gamely ate it once or twice and then announced he still didn't like eggplant. He grew up to be a navy seal.

    ReplyDelete