Monday 4 July 2022

Thank you and Quizzing

Thank you everyone for your kind words and saying  the blog wasn't too predictable or boring, I'll just carry on the same............until something exciting happens!
 
Devon Mum - Hope the Cappuccino cakes turned out OK for your daughter. I need to add to the recipe that I always put these in the fridge after they've cooled a bit  to cool right down before I box up for freezing. It makes the chocolate topping nice and firm.
Joy and Jennie - I reckon I'll need two bags and my bike to get my books home from the mobile library on the 28th!
Ellen - I read quite a lot of Peter Lovesey books many years ago when they were out first time round and now they've all been re-issued . Back then I liked the Sergeant Cribb ones but not the Peter Diamond so I ought to try those again.
Jane, Hilary and Fun60 - Watching the match at Wimbledon between Tsitsipas and Kyrgios on Saturday was exciting but also annoying and frustrating. Reminded me of McEnroe all those years ago. It was a shame the Cam Norrie match was on at the same time as the Alcaraz match on Sunday afternoon as I would have liked to see both.
 Only a week left now and out of the 17 Brits who started just Cam Norrie left but he has played really well so maybe he'll go further.
 
Now the quizzing......................

 For the first time in nearly 3 years the Suffolk East Federation of WI's organised a quiz. It was so good to be quizzing again after all the covid stuff .I think there were only about 20 WI's out of the 90+ in our area represented, which apparently was only just enough to break even (hire of Needham Market Community Centre and food etc) but they really didn't want to cancel after all the previous cancellations of so many events (luckily on a very muggy evening it meant that we weren't so squashed in the hall like we have been in the past!)

Teams of 4 and all the questions were around the Jubilee, the Commonwealth, Royal Residences and the Queen. We were OK with some and hadn't a clue on many. 

For instance  - do you know who gave the Queen a Play House for her 6th Birthday?? No we didn't either -(It was the Welsh people) and we knew we'd heard how many Prime Ministers had served the Queen during her 70 years several times over the Jubilee weekend but couldn't remember - and I've forgotten again already!

We did really well with Flags of Commonwealth Countries thanks to one of our team being a Brownie Leader (that's the sort of thing Brownies find out about) and had a couple of lucky guesses.

Both Stonham Aspal WI who I used be a member of and quiz with, and Bacton - my other WI had teams entered. I knew we wouldn't beat Stonham Aspal as they have a lady called Ruth who is a whizz for all sorts of general knowledge......... which is why I liked being in her team!

But we ended up, much to our surprise, coming 6th and only 2½ points behind Stonham Aspal.

There was coffee, sandwiches and cake in the half time interval of course  - delicious.

Here are 2 flags from Commonwealth Countries that we didn't know! Can you guess?

Flag of Lesotho             

Flag of Tonga

And here's a LINK to all the rest of the Commonwealth Flags if you want to see the answers. 

I'm already looking forward to the Spring Quiz next year.

(I used the handy search function and found that at the last WI summer quiz in 2019 there were 44 teams taking part - no wonder it was hot and squashed that time!) 


Back Tomorrow
Sue

21 comments:

  1. Clever ladies - it sounds like a lovely time and it's so good to be resuming this sort of activity again, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to find that this WI didn't have a regular and settled team- some WIs can be a bit funny like that - so that I could join in

      Delete
  2. Sounds like good fun. I think that fixing the team size is good. I've been to two quizzes recently where the teams were between 4 and 8 people. Not surprisingly the top three places were won by the largest teams! Flag rounds are fun (I'm no go for d at them though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago when we quizzed with some farmer friends we sometimes had teams of 8 and that causes so much discussion with everybody chipping in - harder to agree too!

      Delete
  3. Well done on 6th place - we've entered village team quizzes twice, the first time we came last, the 2nd last but one. But in our defence, the other teams (including one semi-professional one who apparently win nearly all the time) had all been quizzing regularly for years before we joined in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock coming 6th as in some rounds we only got a few right but obviously everyone else was the same

      Delete
  4. Never mind the flags, I have never heard of half the countries . Please carry on blogging, reading about your life is like having a pen friend,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a hopeless penfriend as my penfriend W on a windy Scottish Island will testify! (Sorry W - must write to you soon!)

      Delete
  5. Don’t forget the 6 red button channels Sue, not sure if they can be recorded from but might have been able to record off tv and watch the other on the red buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would watch tennis matches if they were recorded and I knew who had won! Saw the end of the Alcaraz game.

      Delete
  6. Ooh I love a good quiz. My best friend and I used to do a pub quiz every month (before Covid) and used to compete against teams of 6. We never won but enjoyed it nonetheless.
    I really enjoy your blog too, Sue, it's a bit of normality in a very abnormal world at the moment. Please carry on regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pre-Covid I was in a team called 'The No-Hopers' . . . so-called because we were just 3 members, my friends, (a married couple) and myself. But there was always a wooden spoon for the last-placed team - and we now have a fine collection of wooden spoons!
    I looked at those flags and was hopeless at guessing them; hadn't heard of many of the countries either. Well done on your 6th place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your WI quiz sounds like great fun with a group of women enjoying the game, socializing and lovely food and drink. In comparison, our women's groups seem very stiff and serious about everything and we have no quiz like you describe. Will you be part of the same quiz team again? I recently heard about the WI calendar and it sounds brilliant and well liked by all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No idea about the flags - general knowledge no longer my strong point as my memory is not what it once was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like a good quiz but fear I would have been rubbish at the Jubilee quiz.

    Looked at the Commonwealth flag link and would have been rubbish at all but the pretty obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strangely enough, I did know it was Wales who gifted the playhouse to the then Princess Elizabeth. Funny how some things stick in the old brain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never heard of the playhouse before. What a wonder reading that was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew Tonga but not the other. I needed to cheat and look that one up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds as though the quiz was really fun. Congrats on doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I knew who gave the Queen that beautiful little play house for her sixth birthday. I coveted that gorgeous little cottage when I was little. :-)

    The quiz sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete