Friday 29 July 2022

No Library Van Visit - Again

Guess what..............The mobile library was cancelled again! I should have been picking up  9 books but once again they are stuck in the depot.This time it's the driver with an injury. That means that by the time they come in 4 weeks it will have been 16 weeks since the last visit! This never used to happen in my day!! (There was more money back then and a relief driver was usually available to step in).

So the new library book photo will probably have to wait another 4 weeks................... although I have emailed to ask if there is any way of getting those books to one of my nearest libraries for me to pick up instead, as several will be new and on long waiting lists and when they are tied up for an extra 4 weeks it slows things down for everyone on the waiting list.

Of course I still have a great ol' heap (10 to be precise) left from the ones the library Manager delivered to me  2½ weeks ago.............Thank goodness he did!

 
The few I have read from the heap above are on the separate Book Read 2022 page. I'm taking back the D.E. Stevenson unread - much too silly and very dated and am currently reading Into The Tangled Bank by Lev Parikian,  which is interesting but has a plethora of asterisks  of all sorts..........🞻 * ☨ that means looking at the notes at the bottom of the page before going back to the main text. Sometimes there are three to a page - odd.
As it's a slow read I decided to read the Anne Perry historical crime book at the same time .It's in her Elena Standish series and set in 1930s Berlin.

Thanks to everyone for comments about the tomatoes and fishcakes yesterday - lots of ideas there.

Back Tomorrow
Sue



7 comments:

  1. Sorry about the library van...some good books there though. I am a member of Netgalley...i have read 1000 books through them electronically in the last two years...I am a fast reader...lol...plus my daughter is also a member and receives tons of books in the mail...snail mail...she brings some when she visits...I use the library here occasionally, but in Indy, I used it two times a week...I do like the electronic books especially with Covid on the rise again...also I read books online through Gutenberg...love your blog. I am not sure of your history, but it looks like you have moved to a new home...I missed some I suppose. Keep writing. I am a vegetarian and have been since 1992...no animals..no fish...I do veggie soup...yummy vegetarian chili...vegetarian pasta sauce of course...pizza with sauce and pineapple...I am not a vegan because I do eat the cheese on pizza...and sometimes it is not dairy free cheese...no eggs...etc...love your food choices...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda. I moved to this bungalow in May 2021. I'm not vegetarian but eat meat only rarely - less than once a week probably, the same with fish. I try to grow as much as I can manage myself after our 23 years on a self sufficient smallholding before my husband became ill and died in 2018
      I don't use e books preferring paper real ones.

      Delete
  2. That is unfortunate that the library van is delayed again. Today, I find a general lack of backup planning when the normal practice temporarily fails. Management used to be responsible for quality and consistency of services and this no longer happens. I see this everywhere and it is disappointing. I've contracted to have 6 large trees removed in 2 weeks. The business is accommodating my need to keep heavy equipment and tree debris off my new driveway. Yet, I'm thinking something is bound to go off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortage of funding is always a problem nowadays in many things.
      Hope your new driveway isn't damaged

      Delete
  3. How frustrating, but it's good that you still have plenty of reading material anyway. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry that the van couldn't get there. Still you have a few to read yet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sixteen weeks is a long time, there must be a lot of folk desperate to see the van making it's rounds again.

    ReplyDelete