Saturday 30 July 2022

End of the Week and the Month

(Yes, I know today is the 30th and July has 31 days but it's near enough 😛)
 
Thank goodness for a much cooler week, even put a cardigan on one evening but still so dry apart from a half hour shower on Tuesday evening. Not much mention of rain in the  10 day forecast either.
 
I'm looking forward to watching on TV all the sports at the Commonwealth Games which started yesterday- and on at the right time to watch - being in Birmingham and so good that  Para sports are going to be mixed in rather than at a completely different time.
 I loved the World Athletic Championships  during the month but as they were in Eugene, Oregon watching live would have involved being up at 1a.m. By the time they had a catch up programme on BBC I'd often already heard about any British medal results on the radio news! 
We were talking about watching sports when Son and DiL were here on Sunday and they said they'd  just realised the next Olympics in 2024 are from Paris so again the timings will be right for seeing them live. They were two of the lucky people who got tickets to watch some events in London in 2012.

And onto my usual round up - no extras earned so just the two pensions and small bits of interest on savings were my income and thankfully July is a month without any large bills due - although the way electric and diesel  prices are rising there are large bills every month!

Saving to spend?

Years ago we saved our pennies in many places to simply survive. Nowadays I save my pennies in some places so I can spend them in others.

 So I make no apology for my frugal month notes even if I don't need to be so frugal anymore.

  • Always sending post by second class rather than first
  • Mixing whole milk half and half with water - 2 pints becomes 4 pints at the price of 2.
  • Home made bread
  • Cucumbers, Aubergines, Tomatoes from the greenhouse
  • Beetroot,Courgettes, French Climbing Beans from the garden
  • Dried Basil leaves for winter 
  • Jam made using an overlarge courgette plus apricots from the cupboard
  • Bundle of 8 good greetings cards from boot sale for 50p each 
  • Always washing the car myself
  • Washing dried outside all month
  • Washing Soda for clothes washing with a minimum of Ecover laundry liquid
  • No clothes, shoes etc bought all month
  • Personal spending limited to swimming and second-hand books - mainly 50p each from boot sales
  • Co-op meal deal = Freezer Filler £5 - (Mixed Veg, Chicken Burgers and Chicken Breast Fillets, Alphabeti potato waffle/chip things and  2 Vienettas.  I'm stocking up for summers smaller visitors.(Some people will probably tut about this being over processed food like they did last time I mentioned the Co-op freezer filler deal but as it's only a once or twice a year thing, they can tut as much as they like!)
  • No car journeys except for boot sales/shopping and swimming/shopping, family visits and WI in the next-but-one village.

I have a date for the fitting of the water meter next month, which I know will reduce both my water and sewage costs. In this bit of Suffolk we pay for water to Essex and Suffolk Water company which is owned by Northumberland Water (?) and pay Anglian Water (owned by a French company?) for our sewage. Hopefully then the  first should tell the second that I now have a meter as the second will be then based on the first rather than on Council Tax band.......if you follow!

  Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert, was on the Today programme on Thursday calling for help for poorer families with the potential rise in energy prices. It's predicted that the average energy costs for a home  with gas and electric could be up to £500 a month - how on earth can people manage that?  I don't have direct debit for electric but read the meter and pay only for what I've used every 4 weeks.(which actually worked out at paying two bills this month). The heating oil tank is  just over half full so will need 500 litres in August.  The oil fired boiler only comes on in summer when the hot tap is used so I try to only use it for showering/washing myself and if I do have to turn on the hot tap in the kitchen for washing something that can't go in the dishwasher then I catch a whole jug full of cold before the hot arrives and use it for something - soaking a messy pan or watering the Chives out the front of the house.

  Lots of card making bits and another load of books have gone off to the charity shop this month thanks to the library van being missing for so long. It's made me read several and sort others that have been sitting there for years.

GONE!
 
Also gone out of the home are a few bits of baking equipment that I don't use and  a bundle of old post cards and birthday/Christmas cards have been recycled as card to write shopping lists on or into the recycling bin.
  I've been meaning to  check on how long I need to keep self employment details in case the tax man wants to see them. We both filed our last tax returns for the 2015-2016 year and I thought it was 7 years but it might be 5, either way I'll soon be able to get rid of folders full of campsite etc paperwork that have moved house 3 times!

What will the expenses be in August? I've looked back at my accounts for August 2021 (when I had a dentist visit, bought new pairs of shorts and electric propagator and had the boiler serviced) Dentist and boiler service will be in September this year but my half year subscription for the Radio Times is due. I shall keep that as it's my only magazine purchase and I do like finding out more about the TV programmes I enjoy (it works out at less than £2 a week - so much, much cheaper than most magazines).
There is one big expense that's a definite for August and I'll write about that when it happens.


That's about it, I shall be back on Monday.
Sue



26 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm horrified at the impact of rising fuel costs on young families. I'm retired now, and probably in the most secure place I've have ever been, financially. After a lifetime of thrift, I will continue to spend wisely. But I'm a little saddened by some folk I know who are criticising families who use Foodbanks, saying they aren't managing their money properly. I think we are going to see a lot more poverty in coming days, and a real division between rich and poor. I am praying that the next Prime Minister addresses this situation with actions not words. (and no "tuts" from me about holiday treats for the grandchildren - I too have a bag of chicken nuggets in the freezer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way things are going to be for hard working young families this winter is frightening, all I can do is to help my family where I can.

      Delete
  2. You are so right about saving pennies in some areas so you can spend in others. It took me a while to realise that frugality looks different to different people for different reasons and we shouldn't judge someone's choices as we don't know all the reasons. I also buy treats for visitors, they don't need to be frugal just because I am!! Looks like you've had another good month! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to spend some of my saved pennies on something exciting!

      Delete
  3. DH has just been out to read the meters and send if the readings to Bulb. We don’t have a water meter but I have been trying to wash clothes less as a blouse worn for an hour or two isn’t needed laundered. Also we are wearing daughter and son in law’s cast offs around the house and garden as they are way too good to let go. My one luxury item this month was a 1.5 duvet for £24.99 from an online company and it is fabulous-I just can’t sleep without the slight weight of the duvet in case the monsters get me! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have clothes that I go out in and as soon as I come home change into older things and certainly wear for many days until they need washing. NOT underwear obviously!

      Delete
  4. I also keep ‘goodies’ in the freezer for g.children and my horrors are ice creams from Lidl, always available, help yourselves. My thriftiness is not buying meat, alcohol or processed food for myself so I can then treat family. No rain in my part of Dorset for weeks, they are combining the fields in huge clouds of dust, I imagine the yield is down. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No alcohol here either, just don't need it and hardly any meat. Wish fruit was cheaper it's one of my expenses

      Delete
  5. i sometimes buy the co-op freezer fillers for my hubby and myself, we particularly like the battered fish/fish finger options, it doesn't hurt once in a while x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the Radio Times by post too and read it thoroughly! Very reliable and good value for money.
    I’m interested in your half and half milk method; milk in this part of Sheffield is £1.30 a litre now so that makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes pick up a magazine in the shop and flick through and they are all adverts and over £5!The RT is a bargain - plenty to read too and a puzzle page.
      I'd better do a post about half and half milk as it works so well for me and saves and people have asked before

      Delete
  7. Living comfortable and not spending more than necessary is important to me too. Quality and fair price drives my decisions around purchases. That said, being prepared for change in costs is the way of the world today. I'll be topping off my oil tanks to prepare for winter when the meter shows they are half full. Next week I'll schedule the oil delivery. Gas prices are down again. I paid $4.34/gallon yesterday. There seems no logic to pricing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew that if I downsized homes it would mean I had money in the bank to use as I got older and can still be frugal to make the money last me out!

      Delete
  8. Yes the Radio Times is a really good buy, I usually read it from cover to cover, set up all my recordings for the week ahead, do all the puzzles that I like and then pass it on to Alan who checks for the sport he might fancy watching and does the puzzles that he likes .... which luckily are the ones that I do not.

    The Co-op meal deals are usually brilliant value for money, but there are a lot of folk that are very snobby about them. Surely when it's the pizza deal it's better for a hard up family to be able to have a good pizza treat night for £5 than it is for them to spend five times that on a takeaway. I know this always creates division on the frugal Facebook groups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to put the water from the dehumidifier into the washing machine to use. A friend also put it in her dog water bowels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we are never humid enough to need a dehumidifier here - another electric saving

      Delete
  10. Not a bad month it seems. Good that you've managed to sort out some pieces and have sent them off to charity shop. It's what I have to start doing next month. I'm really going to try to let some things go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hanging on to too many bits and not using them - once I decided not to make cards it was easy - but you make such beautiful cards so hope you don't stop

      Delete
  11. Love the photos in your heading. I don't do television...have not had cable, etc., for so many years. I do have Hulu which I watch, and I have Netflix which I watch once in awhile. Live television with commercials no..none of my family members have cable. we are all readers...and doing other things...glad you have the things you like to watch. What do you think of Anne Perry books? I have read tons of them, and I notice you have them also. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TV keeps me company and I love watching so many sports and crime dramas.
      I think I've read almost all of Anne Perry's books - so many of them

      Delete
  12. Your frugal tips sound good but doesn't the milk taste terrible if watered down? I was just told to drink more milk by my doctor and I am very conscious of how quickly it goes sour as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m not sure what we’ll do about my mum’s electric bill, even now it’s nearly £600 a month as all her heating and hot water is electric!

    ReplyDelete