Saturday 9 July 2022

Saturday 9th

 The hotter weather we were forecast all week finally arrived on Friday but most of the week we had cloud but no rain and what the weather forecasts call Moderate Breeze - which was actually quite chilly at times........for July, but it got the washing dry. 

What is it they say about a week being a long time in politics? I really shouldn't mention politics on here - but oh what fun they've been having in Downing Street and the Houses of Parliament this week! Each day has brought a new development. Thank goodness they are all off soon on their summer hols and "only" a leadership contest to hear about. I guess there are some people, somewhere who find it all enthralling?

Meanwhile ............ I quickly read my way through 4 of the books by Alexander McCall Smith, set in Edinburgh about Philosopher and Editor Isobel Dalhousie. They've been sitting on my shelves for years and I'd always thought they were crime fiction but they're not really crime at all, rather stories about moral and ethical dilemmas that Isobel gets herself involved in because of being so interested in people and getting to the reason for their problems.

 Perhaps some people were put off by the title...... " From Sewing To Swimming" as there were only 19 members present at the other village WI on Monday. But it was an extremely entertaining talk. The speaker was a lady who teaches sewing and dress making and when she was asked by someone about making a swimming costume she found herself at age 50 drawn into the world of long distance open water swimming. She obviously loves it as she now, just five years later, regularly does 10K swims, English Channel Relay swims and is planning a solo swim from the Channel Islands to France later this year. She showed us all the gear needed for long distance swims and all the rules and regulations - there are many - to do a legal and registered swim.

On Tuesday afternoon while watching tennis, I spent ages trawling through the photos stored on the lap top to find two I wanted. I needed to move them to the memory stick and get them printed out ready for entering in the Photography classes at Bacton Fayre and Show in August.
This one is for "A Pathway" (unless I get a better idea)
 and this for "An Old House" (ditto)
 
 Probably not good enough to take a place in the top 3 but it's the entering that counts (she says, lying through her teeth!)

While searching for Old House photos  I came across this photo of  Debenham, taken in 2021, which might be the one  where Hilary's  (Trips,Books and Hedgehogs blog) grandfather is standing outside a shop. She is going to look for the right place next time she's in Suffolk.
 

What else have I done this week?
Swimming followed by shopping and  Wednesday a.m. was W.I. Knit and Stitch group - the cross stitch picture for a coaster is only being done there so coming along awfully slowly - and not a lot else ....mostly reading and watching tennis ......usually at the same time and talking of tennis I've gone right off Rafa as by not pulling out when he was so obviously injured in the quarter finals he did us out of a semi-final yesterday and put the annoying Kyrgios straight through to Sunday's final against Djokovic (of course - who else!)

The diary is blank for the weekend so car-boot sales, more reading and watching tennis is all I shall do although I'd better tackle the ironing basket  before I run out of shorts and tee-shirts.
 
Have a good weekend.

Back Monday
Sue

 

22 comments:

  1. I keep telling myself I ought to start swimming again now the local pool has reopened. I don't think I could do the daily cold water swim, or a long distance swim though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to live somewhere to do some cold water swimming but only for a minute or two!

      Delete
  2. I've avoided the news apart from getting the headlines. I just hope they have the sense to choose someone with some old fashioned, down to earth honesty and integrity although I doubt there are any high enough in 'the party' with those attributes - they tend not to get very far in politics nowadays. Mind you, did they ever, really?

    Or am I just being super negative?

    And the photos are lovely - good luck with them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found it entertaining watching the shenanigans at Westminster!
    Particularly enjoyed the spectacle of the Tory party suddenly deciding that integrity,honesty, competence and a backbone were all very important after all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness knows who the next PM will be. Everyone seems to want the job

      Delete
  4. I read four or five of those philosopher books by AMcS, enjoyed them, but it seemed to be enough somehow. A good book about swimming is Waterlog by Roger Deakin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 4 more of the Isobel Dalhousie to read sometime but that might be enough.
      I've not read that Roger Deakin book - the village where he lived is a few villages north of me here.

      Delete
  5. It has been an interesting week, indeed. Perhaps the endless lies and shenanigans have left me jaded and cynical but I cannot see that any of the possible alternatives for PM are going to be able to fix the mess we are in.
    I do hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't understand why so many people want the top job - a thankless task

      Delete
  6. I think your pic of a country pathway is great.
    In summer I do loads more washing because of the ease of getting it dry and then realise that because of all the outdoor tasks there's no time left for ironing so it gets put away creased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Above comment from Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do more ironing in summer because of shorts and tee-shirts - in winter the leggings and jumpers don't need it and so much less than when there were 3 children at school! - all those school shirts were a pain

      Delete
  8. Your WI talk sounds very good. Going from sewing to long distance swimming is a big shift. Ability to swim the channel is an amazing accomplishment It shows how one interest can lead to another and open new doors. We can all agree...There is no lack of news on the world stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speaker was very entertaining and made the whole talk so interesting

      Delete
  9. I agree with you about Rafa, should have given up but Kyrigos would have got through whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he would have got through but I still feel I missed a match!

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a very interesting talk.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - we all agreed there was no way we would be taking it up as a hobby!

      Delete
  11. Love The Path. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The show is 1st Saturday in August

      Delete
  12. Thank you Sue for the photo, it does look like it could be the shop. That bit in the middle of your photo looks very old, Tudor maybe. I shall have to do some more research. Your speaker sounded wonderful and good luck witht he photos. I shall have to find my nearest WI. I agree about Rafa, he should have defaulted at the end of his match to give us two semi finals. I am watching the final and Kyrgios is just starting to kickoff, of dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pathway photo is well worthy of winning.

    ReplyDelete