Friday 13 May 2022

Pakenham Water Mill

First I must say thank you to everyone for comments yesterday, too many to reply individually. I don't feel particularly strong or brave - just  telling it like it is and getting on with things in the only way I can. And yes I do have 3 children and their families but they have their own busy lives with work and children and although they would be there for me if I needed anything I don't expect to rely on them while I'm still capable! Like my Mum used to say to us " I didn't have children to have someone to look after me when I'm old".

 On National Mills Open Day I went to Pakenham Water Mill. Every village once had it's own windmill and there are several still standing but we don't have many water mills in Suffolk. And even fewer that still work. Pakenham is open for visits at weekends - not a full time working mill.



The water wheel is Huge

 

 

 
 

 

 

In the bake-house beside the kitchen is a huge fireplace and chimney with 4 ovens including the brewing vat - for the time when many people  brewed beer because the water wasn't safe to drink.

There was a display of the various flours that would have been produced in the mill and breads that could be baked - below is Maslin bread which often gets mentioned in the medieval historic crime fiction I read. It's made from mixed grains of wheat and rye


 As well as the mill being open for National Mills Day they had displays about wildlife. The Suffolk Wildlife Trust, RSPB, Hedgehog Rescue, Suffolk Bat Group etc, etc


The poster below is another reminder (after my post from a couple of weeks ago about forgotten bees) that shows again how important all bees are - not just honey bees.


These bees were busy in this display, I spotted the queen on the other side


There were a few craft stalls - this is home spun wool and felting

 

This display below shows all the colours that can be made from natural dyes

 
 
 
The Gipping Valley Model Boat club had their boats on the mill pond 



 
All sorts of remote controlled boats. I've seen them at events before but never seen the model motor canal boat it looks so small on the big pond - probably how a narrow boat feels on anything wider than a canal!
 
 


Below is a photo of The Millers Trail - a cycle route through Suffolk, details  HERE taking in windmills and water mills to visit



This below says that Godric was the first recorded miller here, he leased the original mill and land from Bury St Edmunds Abbey in the C11 and a copse of trees was planted from donations in 2016.


 

I picked up a leaflet from a new nursery selling unusual plants, they have a Garden Festival and open day next month that I'm going to visit. 

A good morning out

Back Tomorrow
Sue

25 comments:

  1. I had that on my list of Thing to Do when I was in Bury a fee weeks ago but I didn't get round to it. I wish I had now, it looks fascinating. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's another place that wouldn't take long to visit if there wasn't all the other things happening

      Delete
  2. Didn’t know that about indoor tomatoes, wonder if it applies to outdoor ones. Fascinating natural dye colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about tomatoes either, it's a surprise that they ever get pollinated although I thought tapping the canes they are fixed to was a way to help them set

      Delete
    2. There is a native bee in Australia that is being used in hydroponic tomato growing because it is a very effective buzz pollinator. The growing sheds are enormous, it must require a lot of bees!

      Delete
  3. Oohhh we missed the day. Went to a mill a few years ago and really loved it. Just a thought, do you suppose that copses were once burial places. Hope this comment works...having real problems the past couple of days. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment works! There is a tide mill in Suffolk too that I've never visited, so must get there sometime. I looked up my dictionary of etymology and it says copse comes from the word to cut or hit shortened form of coppice - so a wood to cut regularly

      Delete
  4. What a lovely day out. I absolutely LOVE flour mills and feel very at home in them. A branch of my family were millers in Devon, and my g.grandfather was a journeyman baker, so it must be flour in the blood!

    Loved the home spun and plant dyed wool samples too, just up my street. I'd have spent ages on that stand.

    Have fun at the next open day with the unusual plants. I was near the Walled Garden nursery again earlier in the week, but it only opens Weds - Sat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The open day is at a new nursery in a walled garden - they had some weird food plants I want to look at again including something that looked like Fat Hen only it was Mexican

      Delete
  5. Sue - it looks a good day out. Very nicely displayed stuff. I looked round the kitchen, thinking I remembered our kitchen when I was a child and then was pulled up short - I am ninety later this year - of course the kitchen doesn't look old to me. That lilac in your header - wow - I can almost smell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have school groups round so I expect the kitchen looks very ancient to them!

      Delete
  6. What a fun day! Looks like it was lovely weather too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful weather - just right for looking around at everything

      Delete
  7. Looks like a pleasant day! Did you buy anything?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are having some beautiful weather making a visit to the mill a perfect day. Water powered mills are a fascinating part of history. Their productivity was impressive and they also provided employment for many people. I did not know how bees work to pollinate the tomato plants. The bees are happily buzzing in my flowering trees and the hum is noticeable when I walk by. Your upcoming visit to the garden festival sounds fantastic. Finding unusual plants is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep being tempted by plants - even though my garden is small

      Delete
  9. What a really lovely post - we really enjoyed and almost felt we were back in England. We also love your white lilac.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a fun and educational day out! I love all that natural dyed wool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun place to visit. I read your post yesterday but was unable to leave a comment. What you say resonates with so many of us, but is not something that is talked of very much. Sending hugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. And, YAY! My comment got published this time :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun, and I understand how the three types of mills work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I adore those model boats. Such great workmanship.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a brilliant morning out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like an amazing day. Fascinating to learn about the tomato and bumble bee.

    ReplyDelete