Tuesday 25 January 2022

Charity Shop Find and ONS

Why are there so few recent posts with the label "charity shop finds"? I thought to myself, as I looked back through old posts.
 I always do a tour of the charity shops when I go food shopping to Stowmarket or Diss although 'looking' hasn't resulted in 'buying' much at all recently. 
But there was a good find in Diss last week, this Basildon Bond writing paper and envelopes are the same colour but the smaller size to the ones I had on my wish list and received for Christmas..They were in the Oxfam charity shop but un-priced, so I asked and happily paid 99p. I've put them in the drawer for now. I'll probably keep them or they might become a raffle prize for WI. (We all have to take something once or twice a year)

 

On Saturday morning I decided to do a 1 mile detour on my way home from a church visit and went in the Sue Ryder charity shop in Needham Market. They always have a huge selection of nice things although tend to be very expensive (I looked at a pair of 'Brand New With Tags' oven gloves - which were priced at £6 - which in my opinion is quite a lot for something that has been donated).

But a better find was a favourite  Herbal Essences shampoo for £1.50 and this big box of Duplo which will be ideal for Middle Grandsons 2nd birthday next week. It is labelled as "complete except for dog but has extra bricks" and was £8.
I had to think for a second if these prices were cheaper than new and decided Yes (I was right when I looked them up online  and found the shampoo is usually £2 and the Duplo train is £15ish)


 The pricing in charity shops often puzzles me and the £70 pound! for a set of slate table mats that I saw in the EACH charity shop in Diss seemed rather excessive.

The postman brought me a free cloth bag from the Office of National Statistics along with the code

to do another online survey. This will be the 3rd one I've done, all have been connected with finding out peoples response to covid. I should receive another £10 voucher sometime. I'll be passing the bag onto a charity shop as I always seem to get in a tangle trying to load these cloth bags with long handles.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

28 comments:

  1. I went into a CS shop in Leicester and they had a shelf of IKEA glass vases at £3 each. I asked if they'd sold any, considering the in store price was only £1.50, and she said people were happily buying them! You got a bargain with the Lego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Duplo was a good find - just at the right time.

      Some pricing in Charity Shops is so odd - and so much stuff never gets sold

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely raffle prize - I'd be happy to win it!

    I don't trawl charity shops all that much. Maybe I ought to more - you do find some very good things amidst the higher priced stuff.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where all the charity shops are in so many Suffolk towns!

      Delete
  3. I do wonder at the prices within charity shops at times, not that I have visited one in eons. This may about to change though in my search for a new work coat. I do browse through Facebook marketplace at times, though this is primarily for machinery to restore and sell on from within the Orc’s Workshop.
    The Basildon Bond items would make a lovely gift though I’d be far to tempted to breakout my fountain pen and use them myself m’dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to find all sorts of work clothes for Colin at charity shops so it's worth a look.

      Delete
  4. Ah what goes around comes around particularly raffle prize donations; for choir in my case. Delighted to receive a set of strawberry flavoured shower gel and body yoghurt(?) as a Christmas present I knew where that would be headed.
    The next week I won back lavender talcum powder - does anyone still use talc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do JacquieB, I sprinkle it into my socks to make it easier to get them on after a shower. It's difficult to find it except for baby powder.

      Delete
    2. There are certainly some very strange prizes in raffles - nearly always something someone doesn't want!

      Haven't used talc for years - it rather went out of fashion I think

      Delete
  5. I miss having a look around charity shops. You did get a bargain with the Duplo. We bought that new for our first Grand-daughter when we lived in Wales for her to play with when she visited and I think it was £12 or so. It's still going strong as our youngest Grand-daughter plays with it a lot. We've certainly had our money's worth with it. The dog reminds me of Marshall (my favourite) in Paw Patrol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my tours of charity shops even when I don't find anything

      Delete
  6. Charity shop pricing can be crazy. So often it's cheaper to buy new. But they are legally required to get the most money from donations that they can. I can't help feel that they'd do better with greater turnover if they lowered their prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some stuff seems to sit in charity shops for a long time.

      Delete
  7. Very good finds. I do think that the thrift stores in the US are doing the same thing the prices are going up and I know their overhead is too lights, heat, and rent if there is any but it is all profit
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect overheads have gone up a lot here too and charities are struggling so I shouldn't moan

      Delete
  8. You found some lovely deals. I find the prices in the thrift shops here in my city to be extremely high and always have been. It takes a good search to really find a great deal.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many times looking around and finding nothing!

      Delete
  9. Good finds! I will hit the thrift store on Friday as I am looking for kids' toys too. Two of my grandsons will stay with me for 2 weeks in February while their parents travel to Rwanda. They are 3 and 5 years old so I will be kept very busy! I hope I am as lucky as you with my shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best places for childrens toys - Hope you find everything you need

      Delete
  10. I love a bargain and you found some great buys. The timing of the Duplo find was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds there, I haven't found anything for simply ages. I still keep looking just in case 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pricing in charity shops depends on who is doing the pricing in the back room on a given day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, and it can't be an easy job with all the volume of donated clothing - much of which now gets shipped in containers to Africa apparently.

      Delete
  13. Round here people walk around with cloth bags proclaiming they are members of the over sixties club! I might look it, but wouldn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good finds at the charity shop. I haven't been to one lately. The roads have been pretty nasty a lot of the time so I am staying off them as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pricing in charity shops is a complicated matter, having worked as a manager for Oxfam, British Heart Foundation, Scope and finally for a local Cumbrian Hospice I can say it varies between organisation as much as location. I can honestly say that working for the Hospice, which allowed me (as manager of 2 of their shops) to bring my expertise AND common-sense into play, I made a lot more money for them. I managed to double the takings of my two shops and cover the cost of my wages within the space of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not been to a thrift store lately. I used to go to one in town but not yet. I don't need much for now. After I was let go from work at one in town I am not sure I will go back for some reason. I think I will go to one in another town as they have alot of items to buy as well! Alot of prices have gone up, gas, groceries, in restaurants. I try to buy things when they are on sale. Take care!

    ReplyDelete