Tuesday 17 May 2022

Weird and Wonderful Wood

This annual event, which has been held here for the last 15 years isn't too far from home - about 8 miles I guess and  my plan was to go on Saturday but when I joined a queue of cars on a side road waiting to join another queue of cars on the main road waiting to get into Haughley Park I did an about turn and went back, I thought I'd see just how long the queue was on the main road - it was hilarious.......(not for those waiting I guess!) .....as the queue stretched way back for more than 3 miles. I turned off then to come home but the queue was out of sight round a corner so heaven knows how long it was in total.

 

They'd done a fantastic job of advertising as there were posters and leaflets  everywhere for weeks beforehand  but the organisers probably didn't expect all of Suffolk to turn up !

So I went home and sat out in the sun and decided to aim for an earlier start on Sunday! Which was a good plan as I didn't have to queue at all to get in to park. I was also lucky to take most photos early before everywhere got really, really busy

Haughley Park House is a massive Tudor mansion and acres of land still owned privately and in the grounds for 40 years there was Rannocks chicken processing factory, which then became part of the Four Sisters food processing company but that all closed down about 10 years ago.

 I spent the first 20 years of my life living just a mile from this house and many hours in the park when I was a Cub Scout Leader  where we had the Scout District Campsite, so we were there for campfires and all sorts of District Events.

 
The barn below was  rebuilt and modernised  by my Dad and his builders back in late 1960's and turned into a wedding venue  not long after. Dad was often phoned by Mr Williams who owned the house and park back then whenever he needed odd jobs done and it was best to go straight away!

Above is a Viking Giant Green Man - no idea why

There was a huge herb stall, I spent ages looking and bought a Fennel to replace one I got last year which died over winter.

The stalls were mostly things connected with wood in some way and there were things like story tellers and craft demonstrations, opportunities for childrens crafts and things for older children to do like circus skills.

 


Hand made from Gourds



 

The weird and wonderful
 





There was a yurt containing photos and the history of the Green Fayres  which were the origin for this Wood Fayre. We went to Rougham Tree Fayre way back in the early 80's it was a real Hippy festival back then


 

 I wandered round everywhere for nearly 3 hours and that was plenty long enough, as the day got hotter and more humid and so crowded. Then I headed off home.

 Back Tomorrow
Sue  
 

29 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what an amazing event. Keith and I would have really loved that. So much of interest to see. You were not led astray by all those wonderful herbs either. Just one - such self control!! My Bronze Fennel survived the winter and is coming on beautifully now.

    Those wicker birds reminded me of Avocets (or Curlews I suppose). So many interesting stalls to visit. I hope they had more sales than I did at the Militaria Fair at the weekend (not difficult!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had a bad day for sales. There was a lovely carved Owl I liked but it was £200 so I left that where it was.

      Delete
  2. It looks a good day out, lots of things going on as well. Not sure why that poor tree had loads of wood stacked round it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great day out. I think they hold a similar thing in Norfolk each summer too. Do you grow your fennel for the seeds, fronds or bulbs? It is not an ingredient that I use often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the fronds or what I'd call The Green Bits! I use them in potato salad

      Delete
  4. What a beautifully proportioned house. That basket stall would have been far too tempting for me, aren't they gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the first things that caught my eye - so lovely

      Delete
  5. so beautiful! The baskets would have been my downfall. And the carvings are spectacular!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some clever people around for sure

      Delete
  6. That looks like fun. Such beautiful things for sale but I imagine they were pretty expensive. Still, nice to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a looking at affair rather than buying!

      Delete
  7. The long waiting line to enter would have turned me away too. I'm glad Sunday was perfect and no wait to get in. The estate and property is lovely. The fair looks fantastic. The assortment of herbs looks excellent. The wood carvings are beautifully done and I'd have a hard time not coming home with a basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were lots of things I would have liked but nothing I really needed so I was very good

      Delete
  8. Be still my beating heart...what a beautiful house...I love a wood themed day...they are so interesting. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still privately owned and never open to the public although the grounds are sometimes for the bluebells

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you managed to go - it all looks absolutely fantastic. No wonder everyone wanted to go. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is just glad to finally be able to get out and about and this is an interesting weekend to visit

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful day out! Tom does woodworking and he would love something like this and so would I. It's interesting that your Dad used to do occasional jobs for Mr. Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was lots of wood to buy and woodturning display - so interesting

      Delete
  11. What a unique event. Looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful show of skill and craft and talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some clever people around still doing hand-made crafts (just like you!)

      Delete
  13. What a great event. Love the carvings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! What a great day this would have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good morning out - got so busy later

      Delete
  15. What an interesting day out you had. That carved rabbit is captivating.

    ReplyDelete