Thursday 5 May 2022

Sneaking Under the Fence and Other Things Growing

 I've planted Lily of the Valley in many of the gardens that I've tended over the years with no luck but now  one small plant has appeared under the fence from next door.
Can't imagine how it will spread or survive as there's old weed suppressant stuff under the shingle and sand beside the slab path. Perhaps I'd better have a go at saving it.

 

This is the path/mess where the Lily of the Valley are growing.  Down the side of the bungalow and as mentioned yesterday I was quoted £2,000 to take up the slabs, shingle and weed suppressant, lay a decent concrete path on new weed suppressant and lots of shingle down each side.


 I decided that was too much for somewhere not used unless I'm going out to the front with the wheelbarrow because the back door is out of the living room into the garden and the front door is used all the time for going out and the gate at the front end is kept bolted anyway. I'm letting everything grow for the bees - that's my excuse.

 On Monday morning I noticed some of the sweetcorn kernels had germinated and took the tray out of the plastic bag it had been in since sowing them in the peat pots last week. They  grew an inch before taking this photo Monday evening and  they've grown another inch since.  They're on the living room window sill, better move them out to the greenhouse later today....... 33 out of 36. Looking hopeful for delicious sweetcorn cobs later in the year.

 

 

 It seems most of the Iceland Poppy seeds have germinated from the one poppy seedcase I sprinkled over this patch of rock hard soil by the front path just outside the front door.

Perhaps not all will grow and survive but it looks as if several will if I do a bit of watering. We've not had a good rain here for weeks even though  a wet morning was predicted for yesterday, nothing happened until after midday and even then it was only short showers.........not enough to fill up the new water butts.

 Back Tomorrow
Sue

34 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time I saw lily of the valley growing. It used to be much more common when I was a child. £2000 seems a ridiculous quote for a fairly small path. Looking after the bees is a much better idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Lily of The Valley in my posy when I was a bridesmaid in about 1962 but have never grown it

      Delete
  2. Mum gave me a few lily of the valley over ten years ago. They stayed in a pot for a number of years and it was four of five years before I got much more more than leaves. I thinned them out about four years ago and planted a few clumps at the front - this year they are lovely and, I gather, once they do 'take', they spread quickly. I hope so; they are lovely. Good luck with yours.

    That quote seems terribly expensive. Would it be worth getting a couple more, just to check?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have a go at persuading these to grow further under the fence

      Delete
  3. I should let the march of the Lily of the Valley continue and forget expensive quotations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free plants are not to be sniffed at! I have a lot of shingle here (previous owners laid it) and all sorts of things love to grow in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the California Poppies that popped up in the shingle at Clay Cottage - there are one or two here

      Delete
  5. I think Lily of the valley must be very hardy because we used to have some grow through the middle of a tarmac drive every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness - I've never had any luck even in good soil

      Delete
  6. That seems money well saved. Even if you had it all done the result would eventually be the same. Plants love to grow in gravel, best to take your approach and embrace them - with a little weeding of undesirables - and let nature enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on letting the vicious thistles thrive but other bits can stay

      Delete
  7. I had lots of Lily of the Valley in my old house but have tried a few years here but still have none.
    I went to see my young sister and family yesterday at Wimpole Estate, NT it was a lovely day lots of young animals. On the way home we had very,very heavy rain which the garden needed fortunately it's sunny now.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a lovely day out. Not much rain here

      Delete
  8. We had floods of rain here and then six miles away it was bone dry and then onward a bit further and I was in floods again. It was really weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short showers in the afternoon that did nothing then some late evening which was a bit more but not enough

      Delete
  9. That Lily-of-the-Valley is a survivor. I have come across a couple of other plants that were growing where it didn't seem possible. I can't remember which day it was that we had rain,but it was here for most of the day. If we have ever needed a quote for anything we always get three and opt for the middle one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem here is lack of people actually willing to do small jobs

      Delete
  10. Good to have an area for the bees. I am thinking about doing no-mow May for the back garden, but think I will have to mow the front, it is new turf so doesn't have any dandelions in it any way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my battery mower would cope in June if I did no mow May but I shall go round the dandelions

      Delete
  11. All we have had is a few sharp showers but the plants look better for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain we had didn't go far into the ground here

      Delete
  12. Lily of the Valley grows like a weed in a shady bed in my garden. It comes up in the grass and in any paving cracks. You may not need to cosset it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will spread from under the fence, I've cut away the weed suppressant stuff from round it

      Delete
  13. You are good at keeping an eye on all the bits of your garden. Your corn will be a treat for you to share as you will have a lot, right? I am glad you get so much joy out of your yardwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I have lots of corn cobs. I'll probably freeze some and eat it every day!

      Delete
  14. What a ridiculous quote, it sounds like they are trying it on, maybe get someone else to give you a quote before you give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've lived here long enough to know how little I use this side path I won't bother with a tidy up

      Delete
  15. The lily of the valley wants to grow in your path. I'd encourage it and let it surround the stone path. It will require no care once filled in, it will push out other plants and the flower scent will be lovely. You could have a very nice lily of the valley hallway. Your corn is growing beautifully and the sweet corn will be delicious. Look at all those poppies germinated from seeds! They are going to be outstanding. I love poppies and recently planted 3 small plants. I hope they thrive as I've not succeeded before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how many poppy seeds have germinated on such a dry spot

      Delete
  16. I love lily of the valley and had a large bed of it in my last garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea for that path - let nature do its own thing! I'm always surprised at how tenacious nature can be when it comes to colonizing some inhospitable place. You might end up with a path through a wildflower meadow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a small amount of Lily of the Valley growing, but have also had problems with it before. If I remember rightly Mum had drifts of it in one of her flower beds...maybe there's hope for me yet. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that sneaky lily of the valley

    ReplyDelete